Issues with Johnrude Electric Primer/Enrichener Systems

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Maybe I've just been lucky 'til lately, but this year I seem to have had a rash of issues with the red-lever style primer systems on various motors in and out of my shop. A few have been a common issue with the later style incorporating the Schrader valve getting cracks in the barrel of the red valve. Had another where the plastic plunger center was completely melted to the metal plunger. Had yet another where the metal plunger was too snug in the center of the solenoid housing and wouldn't cycle up and down. Had two others that by all appearances should work, clicked like they should, no blockages, nothing stuck, but simply wouldn't let fuel through when energized. I've always considered this to be a pretty reliable system but have had more issues with them this year than ever before. Anyone else have problems with the system?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I agree, these fuel primer systems have been pretty reliable over the years. Nothing sticks out as a problem, such as a run on one of these parts or another. We recently sold a red lever to a customer with a 96 40 hp. It was cracked down the middle. I attributed that failure to the age of the lever. No other significant activity. Maybe there are new additives in today's fuel?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I too have replaced a bunch of the caps and valves this year. After being in business for quite some time now I find that some years some repairs just come oin streaks. I probably won't replace another one for a couple of seasons.

This year it has been those caps, Mercruiser trim tilt pumps, and spun hubs.

Sure wish I could predict what the next year will bring so I can preorder and get a volume discount, ha-ha.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Chinewalker
Yes, it is very common. I have replaced several. The melted plastic and the binding plunger are common failures due to "over use". The solenoid is a temporary duty device that overheats when actuated for too long a period. I had one last week that would click but wouldn't pass fuel. The spring was improperly placed on the plastic plunger. Customer said it was hard starting for years!

R DAVIS

Seaman Apprentice
Be sure not to over tighten the mounting bracket screw when installing. That will put pressure on the plunger inside and cause it to stick and or overheat. The screw should barely be snug, and almost seem to bee too loose if you check it with a screwdriver. Even a slight over tightening will cause problems.