issues 82 merc IL 6 90hp ob jet

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Looking for advice. I noticed this spring that when I pulled the lu to check cooling impeller that the top of drive shaft had a lot of exhaust residue on it. Then after a 5hr run # 6 plug is water cleaned. Are these issues related? What gaskets do you suggest I replace besides the exhaust tube gasket ? I know I have to pull the power head to fix it . But is there another place I should look also? It is a 2cycle 1 t0 5 are 150 lbs comp. Havent checked #6 Don't have a gauge that will fit past lower shroud. Thanks for you help.:eek:

emckelvy

Commander
Re: issues 82 merc IL 6 90hp ob jet

Check the lower crankshaft seals, if they're bad it can cause water to be sucked into #6 cylinder. You can pull the lower bearing cap without splitting the crankcase.

Check the inner exhaust baffle and also the water jacket cover around the exhaust ports when you have it apart......ed

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: issues 82 merc IL 6 90hp ob jet

Well I found a number of problems. I bought this supposed to be rebuilt engine for too much money. I have 15 hrs. on it and I found when I pulled it apart that the rebuilder used all old gaskets on the plates & covers. some were burnt through. Also there was no gasket in the midsection on top of the leg where the exhaust tube sits. It was rattling around in there, the tube I mean. Soooo I put a new gasket there also. The tube still moved a bit . I thought it was stange but I put it together any way. Ran it 5 hrs. and I got a little water in # 6 cyl. again. Drive shaft was black and new crank seals not looking good. I wonder if some one put the wrong exhaust tube in ? Or are the tabs that seat the tube worn out? I figure the reason the gasket was not there is that the rebuilder tried to tighten the joint where exhaust tube meets the mid section by eliminating the gasket. **&%$##@*&???/// . Can I shim below the tab to bring the face up to meet the mid section gasket? Or am I hooped ? And have to order an new tube . Clams where are you ? I wonder now If this thing was just pieced together and the ser# is also wrong. Yes I bought it privatly off the internet fellow said he did it for a hobby. However the crank and cyl. look good. Any advice fellows ? Be kind to me now, I am feeling dumb enough right now.