Is VRO 2 really better then VRO 1

jjboor

Seaman
Hi all,<br /><br />After having found out that the last engine I was interested in did not live up to the compression test standards, I now found a 120 hp v4 Evinrude VRO 2 from 1991. Browsing this forum I found out that a lot of people disconnect their VRO pumps because these are a weak link in the chain that should be your healthy outboard. Now I was told that this engine has VRO 2 and therefore is more reliable is this so? or should it be disconnected as well?<br /><br />And this is a fresh water engine with good maintenance and fairly priced, just a compression test... so if nobody speaks up, let them... ;) Good engine no?<br /><br /><br />Jan-Jaap Boor

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is VRO 2 really better then VRO 1

A great motor Dutch1...use the vro if you like, just remember to do the maintenance. Do make sure it is working before you rely on it. Mix the fuel in the tank as well as the vro till you know it's working... prettige dag :)

jjboor

Seaman

After spending some more time on this vro subject... does VRO 2 even exist? Or is is my que to stop trusting the seller?<br /><br />Thanks for the answer 101. like your quote btw seems to me that Benj. knew what he was on about.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Dutch1...I have that same motor with the vro2 on it...original from factory. I like to mix my own gas tho because I don't have a very good place to install the oil tank, and, I always know that there is oil in fuel. <br />Ben knew what was going on in those days...he would also be a good man in todays world. <br />Btw, if that motor is in good condition, it is a very reliable and powerful motor.<br /> :)

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Wasn't there an upgrade available to those who had the earlier version of the VRO?<br /><br />Both of you guys have truly great quotes. Ben was a great statesman indeed, but might have fit in too well with todays politicians if the french skirt chasing etc, rumors are correct.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about an upgrade, but I would replace a decade old vro with a new one if I was using the oil pump side. <br />I am sure the rumors about Ben have some truth to them. :) :cool:

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Dutch1:<br /> After spending some more time on this vro subject... does VRO 2 even exist?
While I don't know anything about outboard motors, I do have this information that was provided to me by OBJ concerning the fuel/oil pump on my 1986 40 hp with VRO.<br /><br />"First VRO pump PN for you engine was 174301. Then it was superceded in this order.<br />174432> 398711> 174875> 435554> 438404> final part number....5004562."<br /><br />It seems that there has been not only a few changes to the basic oiling system, but quite a few revisions to the pumps as well.<br /><br />Charles

D

DJ

The oil injection systems went through several changes.<br /><br />The original VRO systems did not have an alarm circuit. The latter ones did.<br /><br />The original VRO systems varied the ratio between 50:1 and 100:1. The latter systems were fixed at 50:1.<br /><br />The system is VERY reliable as long as: it is maintained and the alarm system is functioning.<br /><br />The 120 hp in question has an alarm and is fixed at 50:1.