Is VHF really necessary on small inland lakes?

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Although we're in the land of 10,000 lakes, so far we've only boated on three of them. I can see us getting around to five area lakes - all smaller inland lakes. The smallest is closest to our house and is around 100 acres. The largest (about 10 miles away) is 3,000 acres.

Last week we had prop issues and had to flag down a boater for a tow. We got the orange flag out and started waving people down. We waved for probably 10 minutes or so before someone saw us and came over. Yes, the thought crossed my mind that maybe I should have taken the standard boating advice and purchased the VHF radio to call for help. But...

1) Is it really necessary on these "smaller" lakes when most boaters can see us and we can see them?; and...

2) What do you think the odds are that others on these smaller lakes have a VHF radio (and have it turned on?!)?

I know, I know...it's cheap insurance and odds are good I'll probably wind up buying one. But it seems like most of the recreational boaters I talk to around here look at me funny when I ask them if they carry a VHF radio.

Thanks!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Is VHF really necessary on small inland lakes?

On very small lakes, I don't think I would say that a VHF is an absolute necessity, but they can come in handy at times. One compromise that you could make, is to buy a handheld VHF. They are available for under $100 and result in even further savings, because you don't have to buy an antenna, coax cable, etc.

Also, don't forget that your cell phone can provide a safety net. You can call friends who have boats to come get you and you can call for emergency services, should you need them.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Unless the local marina has a radio I think a cell phone is a lot more useful than VHF on a lake. I think a whole lotta flares and a flare gun would be better than VHF on a lake.

ziggy

Admiral

i got me a 75 boat. it came with a cb radio. at the time i was in the usps. they obviously recommend a vhf as this is how boaters communicate with each other. i switched the cb over to a vhf. that was 2 years ago.
i too boat mostly on small lakes. so far. i've not transmitted once. i've also had need of transmitting too. got myself in a jamb and wanted assistance. but there was no one on the lake to talk to. i ended up using a cell phone. that said. i still think it's a good idea to have one. i went with fixed since i was R&Ring the existing cb.
that said. i also boat on the missouri river once or three times a year. this was where i thought i might use a vhf. on the river i see many more boats with vhf. i've hear the uscg on the river too. i also overnight on the river. it's real desolate on the river at night. like no one in sight for hours on end. it makes me feel better knowing i have some kinda hope of communication when it's so desolate. being a trailer boater i also go to larger lakes once in a while. i also like having one onboard there too. still, i've never used it. albeit i do listen to the weather on it.
while to me, it's not a necessity. it does make me feel better having it. makes me think i might have a hope if things get really bad. a last ditch effort for a worst case scenario. so i would get one. i went with fixed because of wanting to fill the cb holes on my boat. but also because of the better range of fixed. i figure if there ain't no one around, a handheld for sure isn't gonna get me in contact. but maybe there's someone around that i don't see and the fixed may have the range to reach them.
it makes me feel safer. i'm not unhappy that i went to the trouble of installing it, and don't feel it was a wast of time of money... if i need it only once someday. it may be my saving grace. it's a safety item... imho.
i also carry ariel flares + a cell phone....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

**deleted**

Last edited:

ziggy

Admiral

You are going to find that very, VERY few people will have VHF where you boat. (I know, used to boat on lots of MN lakes) It will be next to worthless.
while i've not boated on lots of mn lakes. i have boated on two for sure. lake belletaine, yes it's probably worthless. leach lake on the other hand. i'd say it might be a required item.... a couple other places in mn. that i'd guess vhf is used would be the lake superior in duluth or perhaps the missisppi river..

it probably does matter where you boat at. kinda like i'm saying about my normal boating habits. my local lake, it's worthless. the missouri river would be a different story...

to me, the vhf for inland lakes is optional for sure. but we've all been in the stuff before (if ya do much boating you will get in the stuff too sometime or another). and having a vhf is just one more option that may save my bacon, some day..

CATransplant

Admiral

I also boat on small lakes. Nobody out there has a VHF radio...there's nobody who will hear you. A cell phone, however, is a very useful tool. Mine is programmed with the Sheriff's department's number in several counties, the DNR's regional number (which is answered by an actual CO in the area), and the number of a friend with a boat who could come and rescue my dead boat, if necessary. Of course, my wife's in there, too.

OTOH, when I'm on the Mississippi in my little 12' boat, I carry a handheld VHF radio.

AtoZ

Cadet

I think it's cheap insurance just for the NOAA reports. I know they are not always accurate, but at least it gives you the opportunity to make a decision regarding the weather

Last edited:

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use my cell phone and keep the numbers for both of the local marinas programmed in...

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Went through this dilemma and decided to get one (not that I've installed it yet).

Mostly for fishing on the Fraser river. Others there have them and I would have no idea what the cell phone number of the boat I could see would be.

If I planned to just fish the interior lakes, I would not have bothered. Mostly because there is no Coast Guard coverage here. And I think that would be my deciding factor. If the Coast Guard monitors VHF in your area, then it will be very helpful. Otherwise it can be replaced by a cheap marine radio. Of course, I will be able to chat with my friends on mine as I do have two friends with them.

haulnazz15

Captain

I have boated on 30-50,000 acre lakes my whole life and have only had one boat with a VHF radio we never turned on. Most modern boats from the 90's up don't have them installed unless it's a sport cruiser or larger boat. There is always someone to flag down unless it's at night. A cell phone will get you through to the lake patrol, and weather reports are available by calling most near-area airports with ATIS.

If I was on a large lake (read great lakes) or the gulfs/oceans I wouldn't hardly leave shore without one. I'd put it this way: if you boat where you can get out far enough to where you can no longer see land, you need a radio.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A cell phone will get you through to the lake patrol, and weather reports are available by calling most near-area airports with ATIS.

Just to clarify this statement for those who may not be pilots, ATIS is an automated system that broadcasts current weather information and other things, pertaining to a specific airport. While this info was available only via aviation VHF/UHF frequencies at one time, it is now available by telephone. There is also something called "AWOS," which provides similar information.

I've never thought of this capability in terms of boating, but it sounds like an excellent idea to me. I think the most effective way to use it, would be to have a directory of phone numbers for airports both in the immediate vicinity of the boating area and those further away. Because ATIS/AWOS provides primarily current weather information, calling the ATIS of an airport in the direction of some weather spotted off in the distance, could provide some clues as to what is coming your way.

All of this said, obtaining information in regard to forecast weather, is always the best way to start the outing in the boat. I also want to offer one other caution - ATIS and AWOS numbers are intended for use by pilots. Although the numbers are not "top secret," they are not something that the average "non-pilot" would go looking for. Because of this, overloading the phone lines involved, is not a problem. On the other hand, having a bunch of boaters using the lines all of a sudden, could become an issue. I still ike this idea, but for backup and occassional use, not primary use.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're really worried about it, just buy one and give yourself some peace of mind, but in my opinion they aren't needed on small inland lakes.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have a fixed mount...boating in inland lakes here i have never heard anyone broadcast a word.
The weather channels are a nice feature on it though.

Only one lake around here has the DNR guys and the water police that monitor VHF.And the Sea Tow boats..
I avoid that lake though...