Is trim tab necessary?

jrlogan11

Seaman
Working on my lower unit, I noticed it doesn't have a trim tab. I know some people take these off to put on larger props, but it seems like there should be enough room. It rides fine, doesn't pull left or right and seems to go pretty straight (I don't have power steering btw). <br /><br />Do I need a trim tab? :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is trim tab necessary?

Hi jrlogan11,<br />You have a late 80's 85hp, right?<br />Have you had it long, or used it much?<br /><br />Reason I ask, is because this motor is supposed to have an "exhaust snout."<br /><br />It is brass or bronze, hollow, attaches to bottom of anti-ventilation plate, extends down, the exhaust passes thru it, and it directs the exhaust to starboard, away from the prop, to prevent the prop from blowing out, or ventilating. <br />It also acts as a trim tab.<br /><br />Lots of people have trouble with their props not accellerating if they don't have an exhaust snout in place.<br /><br />If yours is working properly, then I would say you don't need one. If you need one in the future, let me know, as I have a brand new one that was ordered by mistake. I think the only place you can get one is from Mercury, $49.95. Mine is collecting dust.

jrlogan11

Seaman

Hey roscoe,<br />I have had my prop ventilate a couple times, but only when I've had the boat really loaded down and it was churning at full throttle. You're correct, my motor is an 80's 85hp force OB. If you have a trim tab for it for sale, I might be interested. Send me an email: jrhook111@yahoo.com.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

Trim tab often serves as an anti corosion anode, in which case it will keep your motor from disintegrating. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D