Is this outboard too high

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
e6423d78.jpg

BonairII

Commander
Re: Is this outboard too high

Actually, you'll probably end up finding out that it's a tad LOW.

The anti-ventilation plate should ride just on the surface of the water at WOT.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only way to really know is run it up to speed with a normal load and see where the vent plate is. In the water, too low. Dry, too high. On the surface and getting splashed, just right ... ;)

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would that give trouble getting on plane? I just added the stingray today. Hope to take it out tomorrow to try again.

BonairII

Commander

If your having trouble getting on plane...the motor height is having nothing to do with it.

64osby

Admiral

Looks like your pin is in the 4th hole for trim. Move it down, closer to the transom one hole at a time and give it a test. You will find the lower it goes the faster you should get on plane.

I run with mine in the second hole, but each boat is different.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's where it rides best and the outboard is level with the water with just me on the boat. No problems getting on plane with just me and gear. I've tried moving it around with a guest with no luck .

bassman284

Commander

One thing that does look too high is your transducer. Looks like it might be out of the water when you're on plane. Does your depth finder work when you're on plane?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not accurately.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put a Stingray Junior on the motor and finally got to test it out today. Before it may or may not get on plane with a passenger. With the hydrofoil and a passenger it gets on plane in 23 seconds and reaches top speed of 19.2 mph in 52 seconds from a dead stop. I didn't try it alone yet so I'm sure it will jump when I'm alone since it didn't have any problems with that before. 19.2 is only 4 mph less than top speed when alone so I am very pleased and would recommend a Stingray.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

18 horse with just me it's like 2-3 sec.

BonairII

Commander

18 horse with just me it's like 2-3 sec.

You get on plane in 3 seconds with just you on the boat, but when you have a passenger it takes 23 seconds to get on plane? Or is your earlier post a typo?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is correct. It's quick with just me, it almost jumps strait out of the water.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This doesn't explain the difference in performance between 1 and 2 people in boat, but prop looks a little beat up - maybe a bent blade tip on one?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a little dinged up where it looks like someone ran it in the ground. One blade has a little bow in it.