Is this normal?

bigguy6f4

Seaman
waterprob.JPG

http://cid-a95937a5c3695d24.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/waterprob.JPG

This is a prealpha transom assemble with an alpha 1 gen 1 upper and lower unit

im noticing alot of water and or air rushing straight up while running the boat and it didnt look right compared to the pre alpha.

grrrrr.. why arent my pictures posting!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is this normal?

Just tried your picture. Might want to give photobucket.com a try. Some sites don't allow direct links for pictures.

Don S

On to your problem. Here is your picture (in photobucket.com) so we can see it.
Where it says "Water Spraying" is actually the idle releaf ports. One on each side. Out of the water, that is where you will see 90% of the water come out. Quite normal.
Where it's "Gushing" out appears to be the exhaust bellows. It's either off the bellhousing, damaged, missing completely, or you have the tube.
Hopefully you are not running the engine with the drive up like that.

waterprobl.png

MikDee

Banned

I'm guessing the exhaust bellows that goes from the boat to the outdrive is shot (cracked, & leaking) you can replace it, not too hard, nor too expensive, or just put a Mercruiser exhaust (tube) spout on the outdrive transom plate, it's cheaper, & easier, but will give you a bit more noise like a glasspack.

bigguy6f4

Seaman

yes i am running the drive up like that but not in gear. Did i just fubar?

also where i posted water spraying was 10% of water

and where water was gushing was 90% of water. it was coming straight UP where the shifter rod goes down twards the lower unit

bigguy6f4

Seaman

and when i say gush.. i mean a water hose stream going UPWARDS from the shifter rod area. Ill go crank it up and try to get a closer look. lol.. i was tring to avoid it as i WILL get soaked

Don S

yes i am running the drive up like that but not in gear. Did i just fubar?

Doesn't matter if in gear or not, the upper is always turning. The lower unit is where the gears change.
Depending on how far up you had it is how much damage could be done. If it was all the way up, you could have hit the transom shield with the ujoints. Destroyed the bellows, and who knows what else. Have replaced many transom shields and drives because of that.

bigguy6f4

Seaman

well im planning on a new rebuild kit. the one with new bellows, shifter boot exhaust boot, oring, etc. i can see my shifter cable cracked.

my gimble bearing looked great when i installed the alpha 1 outdrive last month. however there was a little water in the boot so thats why i was gonna replace it anyways.

but i isolated the gushing in question. its coming from a 1/4 hole about 1 inch in front of the shifter rod which runs up and down. the water is shooting straight up. any thoughts? perhaps its an alpha 1 thing?

Bondo

Staff member

but i isolated the gushing in question. its coming from a 1/4 hole about 1 inch in front of the shifter rod which runs up and down. the water is shooting straight up. any thoughts? perhaps its an alpha 1 thing?

Ayuh,..... It's Not an Alpha thing,.....

Are you saying it's spraying water, Up,+ out of the Lower Unit's leading edge,..??
Sounds like a Problem with the waterpump, or it's plumbing.....