Is this enough power?

Butch1

Cadet
Hello again from newb land! Going to check out http://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/1444081859.html this boat on sat. my question is, is 48 HP enough for this size boat, get it up on plane hopefully?, I don't have any plans for tubing or pulling a skier just fishing. Owner says in ad it was rebuilt less than 1 year ago which is a plus. I will ask him for receipts to prove this of course. This boat has been on CL for a month now so I think if I offered him $1200 he would probably bite..

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is this enough power?

Is this enough power?

...it's all relative: to how fast ya' wanna go, how many and what size folks will accompany you and the actual wieght of the boat.

Personally I'd rather have at least a 75 or 90 horse just for the insurance. You never know when you might have to make a run for it !!

That arrangement, to me atleast, would seem more appropriate on lakes and smaller rivers.

The next time your around the owner, ask him the size and horsepower of the replacement boat...I'll bet it's bigger and more powerful.

FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny:)

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I gotta agree that it is pretty small. Wonder if it will pull a ski or tube. With that said it would surely be enough to putt around at maybe 25 or so. Would be cheap on gas which can definately be a good thing. If you like it offer him $900 and wait for his answer. Betch he replys "well I was atleast hoping to get $1k out of it. Say you offer $900 and he comes back at $1100 offer to meet in the middle at $1000. I have been doing this for years and it works. I can tell you that MANY boats listed on craigs right now will not be selling this year. HUNDREDS of sellers and only a handful of buyers. If it doesn't work out there will be many many many others.

Butch1

Cadet

Is this enough power?

...it's all relative: to how fast ya' wanna go, how many and what size folks will accompany you and the actual wieght of the boat.

Personally I'd rather have at least a 75 or 90 horse just for the insurance. You never know when you might have to make a run for it !!

That arrangement, to me atleast, would seem more appropriate on lakes and smaller rivers.

The next time your around the owner, ask him the size and horsepower of the replacement boat...I'll bet it's bigger and more powerful.

FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny:)

No more than 2 people, boat probably is 750-950 lbs, I think the max for it would be around 80-85HP. "making a run for it" does carry weight here in central FL, we are the "lightning strike capital of the world", storms come up quick. Interesting how BMT combo's are getting dirt cheap but an OB by itself is a fortune, even an older one..

Butch1

Cadet

I gotta agree that it is pretty small. Wonder if it will pull a ski or tube. With that said it would surely be enough to putt around at maybe 25 or so. Would be cheap on gas which can definately be a good thing. If you like it offer him $900 and wait for his answer. Betch he replys "well I was atleast hoping to get $1k out of it. Say you offer $900 and he comes back at $1100 offer to meet in the middle at $1000. I have been doing this for years and it works. I can tell you that MANY boats listed on craigs right now will not be selling this year. HUNDREDS of sellers and only a handful of buyers. If it doesn't work out there will be many many many others.

Hehe, I like your thought process! yea, out of about 6 boats I've been monitoring over the past month only 1 has been sold, advantage me!

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

My dad use to have a 16 ft playtime runabout with a 50hp merc on it and it would top out at about 30 ish with two adults and two kids in it.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.....taking note that you're from Central Florida and the boat is listed in South Daytona, I might consider the purchase if I were fishing the lakes and inlets...NOT the BIG WATER.

INSIST on a test cruise with approximately the anticipated max. weight you intend to transport AND in the water conditions you wish to boat.

If you're bent on purchasing this boat, note that the seller has stated " Cash Talks". In that case, and considering the preceeding advise, I'd show up with nine crisp Benjamins in one pocket and no more than $50 in the other.....gotta have gas money to get across state !!!;)

Best of luck and lets us know how it works out.

FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

Butch1

Cadet

.....taking note that you're from Central Florida and the boat is listed in South Daytona, I might consider the purchase if I were fishing the lakes and inlets...NOT the BIG WATER.

INSIST on a test cruise with approximately the anticipated max. weight you intend to transport AND in the water conditions you wish to boat.

If you're bent on purchasing this boat, note that the seller has stated " Cash Talks". In that case, and considering the preceeding advise, I'd show up with nine crisp Benjamins in one pocket and no more than $50 in the other.....gotta have gas money to get across state !!!;)

Best of luck and lets us know how it works out.

FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

OK, thanks Eddie, I didn't plan on taking this type of rig offshore, the weather changes rapidly and a '15 even maxed out@ 85 HP is not the best of choices for that.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I say check it out and if you like it and all is well buy it for whatever you decide it is worth to you. I am sure you can get him down $500 or so. If the price is not gonna stretch your funds to tightly you can always run it for a while and then trade up if its not enough boat for you. Also if neither you or the seller have all the extras such as jackets, coolers, radio, anchors etc plan on spending a few hundred on just little things. Also I would make sure to have plenty of $ in reserve for any possible issues that come up. Other than that it looks like it will get you on the water without spending much. Even if it zips around at 30 that is still enough to have fun. Plus you could probably go out all summer with the amount of gas I burn in a weekend.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

for fishing it will be OK, look at the Max Hp Capacity Plate, 70% of the Max Hp, is the least you want on the boat. 50 hp seems small on a Cobia, even a 15 ft.

my other concern is wood rot, check the hull throughly.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

BWR1953

Admiral

Personally, I'd recommend against that boat. Not enough power AND it's not set up for fishing, which seems to be your primary interest. Why not find a boat rigged to do what you want it to do in the first place?

Can you see spending a lot of time and money redoing the interior of that boat in order to put in livewells/baitwells, etc.? Not gonna get that money back!

From what I see, the Tampa area has the most boats for sale on C/L and I'd be looking there, in addition to other areas of the state. I've seen boats like that one for 1/2 the price in this area.

Butch1

Cadet

Personally, I'd recommend against that boat. Not enough power AND it's not set up for fishing, which seems to be your primary interest. Why not find a boat rigged to do what you want it to do in the first place?

Can you see spending a lot of time and money redoing the interior of that boat in order to put in livewells/baitwells, etc.? Not gonna get that money back!

From what I see, the Tampa area has the most boats for sale on C/L and I'd be looking there, in addition to other areas of the state. I've seen boats like that one for 1/2 the price in this area.

I'll give Tampa a look but it's 2+ hours from daytona area which is not that big of a deal unless you get all the way over there only to find out it's a dud. I'm sure a lot of boats on CL fail to mention major problems hoping buyers won't find them, this site has been a godsend in educating me in those regards..

BWR1953

Admiral

I'll give Tampa a look but it's 2+ hours from daytona area which is not that big of a deal unless you get all the way over there only to find out it's a dud. I'm sure a lot of boats on CL fail to mention major problems hoping buyers won't find them, this site has been a godsend in educating me in those regards..

Yup, this place does help. As for duds, the quickest way to eliminate them is to insist that you want to sea trial the boat. If it's good, the seller will agree, although some want a little cash for gas. If they refuse, move on to the next guy. Especially with low-priced boats. So if somebody in Tampa says "sure, come on over and we'll go out," then you know it's more likely to actually be a working boat.