Is this enough HP?

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at getting a Chaparral SSi 210. It is 22 feet with the swim platform (20'-6" boat hull) and dry weight is 3345#. Do you think the Volvo 5.0 220 HP engine will be enough to pull a skier with 4 or 5 people aboard. The jump to the 270 HP engine is steep and we do not ski too often (maybe 20-30% of the time) so I was not sure if it was worth it. Most of the Chap 210's in our area have the 220hp engine.

My actual big gripe with teh engine is that it has carb and the 270 hp one is fuel injected with turn key starting.

Oh well, you can't have evevything you want in your first boat.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is this enough HP?

Do you have a rateing plate in the boat?

LubeDude

Admiral

I'm an outboard guy, but I will say this.

If you can afford it, get the fuel injected engine. I beleive it will be much better on fuel and the resale value down the road will take care of you later on. JMHO!

And, you can NEVER have enough HP!!!!!

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

I have not bought the boat yet so no add on plates yet.

Do you think the 5.0 220hp will pull a skier well. If so, then I can make a good decsion on whether to get that engine or go up to the 270 hp. If it will not pull a skier well, then I do not really have a decision to make.

I nee to be able to justify the extra 2K

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

That's a heavy boat and when you get passengers/gear on there, you will kick yourself forever for not moving up to the 270 HP. You can justify the added expense of the upgrade by being assured that when you sell it down the road, you will recover that $2000.00. Living with an underpowered boat for years is not fun...

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Rick. If you have this much doubt now, you'll probably regret you didn't get the larger motor. Although, the 220 hp is more than enough power for skiing and wakeboarding.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

They made me a great offer, only a $1200 bump for the upgrade to the 270 hp Volvo. I think it is a no brainer now.

Thanks