Is this Carter AFB a marine carb?

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know if this is a marine carb? The tubes extending over the throttle plates makes me think it is but I'd like to know if I can tell by just that.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />
carter_AFB.jpg

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Is this Carter AFB a marine carb?

No. The Carter 9000 is the marine version.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I don't know. It sure looks like the carb that originally came with my 1972 318 Chrysler I/O. Same casting numbers and all. Another clue is the inlet at the top of the throttle body for a fuel pump overflow. IMHO I think it is a marine carb.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Effin could be right about that tube. It's the big 'ol plug screwed into the base that gets me. Looks like somebody tried to block off a vacuum port. <br />Carters have the model number stamped on the base. Looking at the front of the carb with the air horn facing you there should be some numbers on the lower right of the base. Use those numbers for a kit. I cant make out the numbers on the tag and tried to find some numbers that kinda matched those. No luck. <br />If my memory serves me correctly I am pretty sure the marine Carters had a different arrangement on the tubes from the float bowl. There were two tubes sticking up on either side. But I cant be sure.

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice

The seller said that these were the numbers listed on the carb: <br /><br />The numbers on the tag are 4413S <br />J6 <br />PG <br />The main casting shows 0-1585 <br />The top shows 1779 <br /><br />I couldn't find where to look those number up online though to tell me what this carb is. Holley sure has a nice site for this but I don't know how to find out without a Carter catalog which I don't have access to.