Is this boat sitting correctly on this trailer?

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class
As stated in a previous post, I will be picking up our new boat this weekend in FL.

I have very limited time so I need to make sure everything is in place and correct for the 650mi trip home.

The trailer is a Continental model A2144

http://lh5.ggpht.com/yankeelivinginparadise/SDhmy0WhUII/AAAAAAAAACs/55zrcM95leA/DSC05159.JPG

The boat is only making contact with the trailer at the bunks and at the bowtip stop/roller. Is this correct? Do I need to request that the dealer make any adjustments? ANY HELP would be great because time is going to be an issue.

PICT0202.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: Is this boat sitting correctly on this trailer?

I my humble, non expert opinion.

Is this correct? No.

Do you need to request that the dealer make any adjustments? Yes.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Needs to be on the rollers and bunks should extend beyond the back of the boat.It appears to need to move forward.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a reply from the dealer stating that the boat was sitting 100% correctly on the trailer and that the roller towards the front was just for low water conditions when launching/pulling out.

So...... I dunno. I guess it'll make it home.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I got a reply from the dealer stating that the boat was sitting 100% correctly on the trailer and that the roller towards the front was just for low water conditions when launching/pulling out.

So...... I dunno. I guess it'll make it home.

It still looks to me like it should be supported by that front roller also. The roller at the bow hook should be adjusted to allow the boat to move forward and to spread the weight of the boat on as many points as possible.

At the moment it looks like if you hit a large pot hole, the boat could drop down on the not padded “y” bracket seen just under the keel at the center of the trailer.

But then again what do I know, I'm not a dealer, and I have two car toppers & a inflatable at the moment. :rolleyes:

It is a really nice looking boat, and I would just hate for you to get home, and have to log on here with questions about fiberglass repairs.

Good luck, and post some pictures when you get it in the water.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Somthing does not quite look right. So I did a little checking on the 'net.

Your boat, a 2007 Ebbtide 200 SE is listed as dry weight of aprox 2900 lb. (from boats.com)

The trailer, a Continental model A2144, is built right down there in Florida. The model a2144 is for a 20 to 21ft boat, and has a capacity rating of 2200 lbs.

So off hand, it seems that the trailer is not up to carrying that boat.

See continentaltrailers.com for the trailer specs. I would give them a call and ask if the boat is set up on the trailer correctly. Ph 305-594-1022 or 800-432-1737.

Seems to me that the dealer has contracted a local trailer builder to supply trailers for the Ebbtide boats they sell. Could be special order and have heavier springs, etc. Might not. You should check out the capacity plate on the trailer to be sure it is a match to the boat.

Seeing as the trailer is not built specifically for your Ebbtide, my guess is that there are a few adjustments to be made that will give a glove like fit. How far forward can the winch post be moved so that the hull rests on the keel roller? What is the tongue weight (s/b 10% of load)? If you move the boat, will the tongue weight improve or worsen? There are probably other adjustments too.

I also think it needs a winch strap from the bow eye directly down to the trailer frame to pull the boat down tight against the bow stop roller. Otherwise a big bump and the bow can bounce righ off the bow stop and get the hull all scraped up.

And I can't think of any water conditions, high or low, that will make that keel ride on that lower yellow keel roller. Maybe the white ones on the side, but its not going to get any lower when you put it in the water.....

Good luck,

Mark.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the A2144 is rated for a 2200 lbs load, but if it has brakes, which I suspect it does, then the load capacity goes up to 4400 lbs. You should verify it though.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Is that lower yellow keel roller adjustable? Can it be slid back any?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I read some of your other posts about this new boat. I didn't realize it is a used boat, I thought it was a brand new boat. So I would be less concerned about the trailer fit. Its probably well balanced for proper tongue weight, and if you want the keel roller to touch, you will probably have to move it yourself.

Pick up a pair of transom tie down straps like these premium straps ($23/pr)

2097631c_1_2.gif

and a basic wratchet strap for the bow eye, and you are good.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the trailer has brakes so it must be that 4400lb rated one.

I'll probably take it home as is, because I've got 1300 miles to get to and from FL this weekend... then I'll make some adjustments when I get it home.

I'll post some pics when its in the water - I am so excited I can hardly sit still.

Yes, the trailer has brakes so it must be that 4400lb rated one.

I'll probably take it home as is, because I've got 1300 miles to get to and from FL this weekend... then I'll make some adjustments when I get it home.

I'll post some pics when its in the water - I am so excited I can hardly sit still.

Get her home and enjoy her!! Congratulations