Is this bad??

lmoreau

Seaman
Water is coming from the painted pic when running in a barrel...motor runs without a hiccup, and spark plugs are tan and a little oily. Motor does not overheat. Note water is coming from the bottom part of that small cowling rather than where the top meets the bottom (if that matters!)<br /><br />Much appreciated!<br />
leak.jpg

D

DJ

Re: Is this bad??

Lee Moreau,<br /><br />It shouldn't. You can remove that cover for a closer look.

G DANE

Commander

If nothing is visible under the hood, you most likely have a leaking base gasket. Is this a salt water motor ? BTW Those are good motors - is it a late 70 ties ?

lmoreau

Seaman

Its a 1973 model. 50hp. Everything else is fine with the motor except for the water. When you say base gasket are you talking about the powerhead to exhaust tower gasket or something else? Is it ok to run like this for a little until I can re-gasket? They Clymer manuals are junk when it comes to this stuff.

phatmanmike

Captain

lee i have same motor, mine is 72, and i have same problem, my fix was to rplace my head cover gasket. not sure if this will fix yours, but its my 2 cents worth

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Lee,<br /><br />You're OK there as long as your motor pan is not taking on water. Drive it and enjoy. Just keep a casual eye on it..

lmoreau

Seaman

Thanks for the reassurance. I will replace the head cover gasket anyway as there is a very slow drip coming from it. <br /><br />This board is great!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The reason the water exits where noted in the photo is that that's the low point of the cowling. Anything that dribbles out elsewher in the powerhead will find it's way down there before exiting the cowling. My 75hp Johnson has a slight crack in the water jacket - result of an overtorqued head bolt many moons ago. The motor has hundreds of hours in it with that crack and it hasn't hurt a thing. I say leave it, but keep an eye on it...<br />- Scott

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Lee,<br />I was recently checking eBay for a manual for a 73 25 horse and remembered seeing one for a 50. It's still there for $12.00 + shipping. Ends tomorrow though. It's for a Johnson but I'm told it'll work just fine for an Evinrude. Maybe somebody who knows that for sure will comment. Since I got the OMC manuals I needed I haven't touched my Clymer. Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2469642513&category=6032

lmoreau

Seaman

Thanks Oregon! I just bid on it. It's gotta be better than a Clymer. My Clymer shows the wrong bolt to take out to release the shift rod in the lower unit removal section, but the right one in the powerhead removal section. Go figure.