Is this a problem (Pics)

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As I was putting the boat away after this last time out, I noticed the bell housing gasket is pushing out on the top and on the starboard side. I didn't notice this when I put the drive on after the winter. The boat has only been in the water twice since drive wen't back on this year. It is a Genuine Merc gasket kit and I torqued the 6 nuts according the Merc Manual 14. Is this ok for the rest of the year, will only get to go out a few more times if i'm lucky, or should the drive come off to stop damage. See pics for severity.

Attachments

• photo296059.jpg
    photo296059.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo296060.jpg
    photo296060.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 7

harringtondav

Commander
It could be the beginning of a big problem if that joint was loose enough to allow water to enter. Pulling the drive isn't a big deal, so I'd do it to see if you have water in the drive shaft bellows, and if your U joints and drive shaft are rusty. If not, a replacement gasket is cheap, and you'll have peace of mind. If there is water, but no drive noise, check the gimbal brg for any roughness. If OK, mop out the water, grease up the gimbal brg., slap on a new gasket and run it your few more times.

But you really need to pull it again and take a deep look in the winter. If the bellows had a lot of water, I'd replace the gimbal brg. and both U joints. If not you may get by greasing up both and keeping your ears open and your fingers crossed next summer. Best answer, change the parts this winter and relax next summer.

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like the bolts holding the drive are not tight. Maybe just an aftermarket gasket and just looks that way. You could pull the drive and if its wet inside then it was leaking, but if not all is good

harringtondav

Commander
I use both Merc and Sierra gaskets. Manual says 50 ft. lbs. of torque. I give it a day to relax and re-torque. Gasket relaxation is a real thing. Maybe Merc. calculated for it, but my re-torque always moves the nuts a skotch. I've never lost torque or had a gasket swell as shown.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will pull the drive, unfortunately I won't get back to the boat for 4 days. I thought the big 4 inch ring was supposed to stop water from getting into bellows. If I do have to change u joints do the yokes get pulled to. That will add a new level of complexity for the drive gear.

I used the Merc manual to 50ft ibs. I didn't retorque but will this time. Learn something new.

​​​​​I used a genuine Mercury gasket kit and thats what I have on hand to replace with so hope it's a torque problem.

harringtondav

Commander
I thought the big 4 inch ring was supposed to stop water from getting into bellows..

It is, and probably did, assuming your drive didn't leave too big a gap. I think it squeezes up @ the last 1/8". So you may be ok. But your gasket has been compromised, and needs replacing. 1 he max for peace of mind

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm gonna pull it as soon as I get back and hope for the best.

Does any one use anything on the gasket, grease, perma seal etc or just dry. Also I should be good keeping the 4 ring in right.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
No sealant on the gasket. A new ring comes in the kit, might as well replace it.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figured replacing it would be better. I think my bellows adhesive expired this or last monthmont it's hard to come by in my parts.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I started putting a little dab of sealant (pretty much anything) on the very top edge and near the top two bolt holes to keep the gasket from slipping down when I'm sliding the drive back on. The top surface of that gasket is only about 1/4" wide and I've had it slide down just enough that the upper part of the gear housing caught the gasket and broke it as I slid the drive in. I torque it down in 3 steps- snug, then snugger, then 50 lbs/ft.

My .02

Bondo

Staff member
I started putting a little dab of sealant (pretty much anything) on the very top edge and near the top two bolt holes to keep the gasket from slipping down when I'm sliding the drive back on. The top surface of that gasket is only about 1/4" wide and I've had it slide down just enough that the upper part of the gear housing caught the gasket and broke it as I slid the drive in. I torque it down in 3 steps- snug, then snugger, then 50 lbs/ft.

My .02

Ayuh,...... I use plain ole Grease,......

The big o-ring, a couple dabs hold it,....
Run a finger full 'round the bell housin' keeps the paper gasket tight to the housin',....
'n another dab or 2 to hold the smaller o-ring on the water port,.....

Don S was big on Perfect seal dabbed under the paper gasket, 'n bellows cement for the 0-rings,.....

I also use the Sierra Alpha Gen.II gasket sets, 'bout 6 bucks at my local Napa,..... 1/2 doz. a time,.....
That set works perfectly on the MC-1s, Alpha 1s, 'n the Gen.IIs,.....
'course the gasket sticks out past the MC-1 housin's, but who cares, it seals just fine,....

Oh,...... 'n I've never used a torque wrench to put on a drive,...... 'n never had to retighten,...
Just a socket, ratchet, 'n my calibrated elbow,..... Never had 1 go Loose, unless there were Other problems,.....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If the nylock nuts have been off and on several times, they do wear out. If they are wore out you will get an overtorque situation, and the gasket will squish out like that. Whenever I'm servicing a drive, if the nuts look/feel wore, I replace them.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally got back to the boat and got the drive off. Good news was not a single drop of water inside any part of the drive.:D Now the strange part, I checked everything, re-greased and put drive back on. I torqued the 6 nuts in a X pattern then middle 2, repeat a couple times and then torque to 50 Ft Lbs. I used a torque wrench as my elbow is still being calibrated. Everything looked fine, finished the drive install cleaned up, double checked my work and top part of gasket is sticking out again. I remembered when I took the drive off last winter that the old gasket looked exactly how the one in the picture I just off looks.So I'm thinking to my self that its just the way this drive is, and there should still be gasket left that it seals against. Again this was a Genuine OEM Merc gasket cause I had it in stock, Maybe the sierra will be different but for now my mind is saying go boating. What does the brain trust think.
IMG_20180721_140823.jpgIMG_20180721_132836.jpgIMG_20180721_140830.jpgIMG_20180721_140916.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180721_140823.jpg
    IMG_20180721_140823.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180721_140823.jpg
    IMG_20180721_140823.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20180721_132836.jpg
    IMG_20180721_132836.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20180721_140830.jpg
    IMG_20180721_140830.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20180721_140916.jpg
    IMG_20180721_140916.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 4

alldodge

Staff member
Great no leak, and it might be an optical illusion but the gap looks closer and if you look at the threads, I don't see the same amount of threads. Otherwise I don't see an issue

thread.jpg

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You were right AllDodge, before I removed the drive I put the torque wrench on and got 1/8 to 1/4 turn. More then I would think, learned a new lesson. Gonna retorque before it goes back in the water.