Is this a modified poppet valve? If so, why? 1985 Mariner 175

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I am working with my brother on a 1985 Mariner 175. While we were out on the water the motor would overheat at full throttle but cool down at idle/low speed. We did some quick google searching and came up with a possible poppet valve failure. We decided to do water pump, thermostats, and poppet valve just to be safe and when were were looking for the poppet valve we found that it looks to be modded or something. The motor is a 1985 but incredibly clean which led us to believe that it had been rebuilt in the recent past. I saw some over spray on the hoses for the thermostats which cannot be factory seeing as they would be almost 30 years old. I have attached pictures of the poppet valve cover which looks to be cut in half and the hole has been plugged and sprayed over. Is this a modification and if so why? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
pictures arent working. iboats got a good deal on websites from websites.gov. . Upload your pics to your favorite picture hosting website like imageshack or whatever and then post the raw URL here. Dont try to post it on the iboats server.

As odd as it sounds you see virgin mercury motors with overspray and paint on the hoses

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
like said and is still prevalent today (just not as bad now), overspray and bare spots are tha norm along with what you're describin' 'bout tha cover (older 2 bolt type)...........