Is this a ground wire for hydraulic pump?

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1978 Mercruiser, serial number 3773776.
Motor was removed in a shop. For various reasons, I am putting back in. This is the only wire I’m not sure of. The black wire comes off the hydraulic pump and, judging by the length and curve of the wire, it looks like it should ground to the nut circled. Just want to know if that seems correct?

Attachments

• DEB3DED4-4469-4D70-B8DF-9F292B8AC8B0.jpeg
    DEB3DED4-4469-4D70-B8DF-9F292B8AC8B0.jpeg
    718 KB · Views: 25

SternDriveEd

Seaman Apprentice
Is the circled nut loose? I would think that whoever removed the black wire would not have completely retightened the nut. Knowing that the wire would be going back there eventually. Just thinking of how I do things.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Looks right. But that bolt looks like the wrong style for that bracket to me.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks right. But that bolt looks like the wrong style for that bracket to me.
Yeah, 44 year old boat, been in and out many times I’m guessing. Bolt only holds piece that covers flywheel. Original was probably lost at one time and fella replaced it with what he could find.

j cat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1978 Mercruiser, serial number 3773776.
Motor was removed in a shop. For various reasons, I am putting back in. This is the only wire I’m not sure of. The black wire comes off the hydraulic pump and, judging by the length and curve of the wire, it looks like it should ground to the nut circled. Just want to know if that seems correct?
my 470 mercrusier 1978 trim cylinder electric pump is the motor bolt on the black wire and it is to the battery ground. also that black wire goes to the solenoid .then the red wire on the opposite solenoid side goes to the battery positive.
the pump trim motor has a green wire [down] , and the blue wire [up]..
last year I had the motor pump not working ... I inspected the voltage on the motor .. voltage is correct ..then I took out the motor armature .. the commutator bushes are locked up .. took out the brush holders and the pits are locking the brushes .. I used a small file to remove those pits...the brushes look like new, no wear .. armature looks good .. put it back and it works great ..

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my 470 mercrusier 1978 trim cylinder electric pump is the motor bolt on the black wire and it is to the battery ground. also that black wire goes to the solenoid .then the red wire on the opposite solenoid side goes to the battery positive.
the pump trim motor has a green wire [down] , and the blue wire [up]..
last year I had the motor pump not working ... I inspected the voltage on the motor .. voltage is correct ..then I took out the motor "armature .. the commutator bushes are locked up .. took out the brush holders and the pits are locking the brushes .. I used a small file to remove those pits...the brushes look like new, no wear .. armature looks good .. put it back and it works great ..
Thank you so much for that. Looking closer at it, I figured the only place is could go (given the length and how is was curved) was to the solenoid. Now, with that wire unhooked, what would not be working? The only thing from the trim that is not working is the up/down switch. To lower, I activate the "in", to raise, both the "up/down and the "up", to trim only the ""up/down (not working now)

Attachments

• 8A25F09F-BD7D-4946-BA31-546528F7FBC2.jpeg
    8A25F09F-BD7D-4946-BA31-546528F7FBC2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Thank you so much for that. Looking closer at it, I figured the only place is could go (given the length and how is was curved) was to the solenoid. Now, with that wire unhooked, what would not be working? The only thing from the trim that is not working is the up/down switch. To lower, I activate the "in", to raise, both the "up/down and the "up", to trim only the ""up/down (not working now)
That's because the trim limit switch (or the associated wiring to the switch) has failed...

Chris....

j cat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did the work on it . use a meter on the motor pump to the green wire DOWN and then blue wire UP is on the solenoid .. hit the dash panel switch down see if the voltage is at the green wire. then hit the top to dash panel switches top/middle and put the meter on the blue wire on the solenoid ...
the dash panel top switches go to the solenoid on the blue wire UP high current .. then the bottom dash panel switch is down is to the motor green wire ..
my issue last year the motor pump does not work .. does not turn on ..
then did the testing and the motor had voltage on the motor and the motor does not run ..
use a voltmeter testing the voltage at the motor leads..........
I am a electronic tech I also fix electric trains dc motors LOL...

Attachments

• power trim circuit.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 2

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I did the work on it . use a meter on the motor pump to the green wire DOWN and then blue wire UP is on the solenoid .. hit the dash panel switch down see if the voltage is at the green wire. then hit the top to dash panel switches top/middle and put the meter on the blue wire on the solenoid ...
the dash panel top switches go to the solenoid on the blue wire UP high current .. then the bottom dash panel switch is down is to the motor green wire ..
my issue last year the motor pump does not work .. does not turn on ..
then did the testing and the motor had voltage on the motor and the motor does not run ..
use a voltmeter testing the voltage at the motor leads..........
I am a electronic tech I also fix electric trains dc motors LOL...
The trim motor is working, it's just that to get the drive UP, he needs to push the 2 top buttons together. Classic trim limit switch (or associated wiring) failure. Dead common problem.

Chris....

j cat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The trim motor is working, it's just that to get the drive UP, he needs to push the 2 top buttons together. Classic trim limit switch (or associated wiring) failure. Dead common problem.

Chris....
he stated it [The only thing from the trim that is not working is the up/down switch ].. does he have a voltmeter ...also use a ohmmeter to the trim switch out drive .