Is this a good price

cmuzzy

Cadet
I wanted some feedback about purchasing an engine. I was looking at a 1996 40hp 2 cylinder johnson with trim and tilt and with all of the controls. The person wants to sell it for $1200. It has good compression and it runs like a top. It is my first time buying an outboard so I do not know. It also looks mint with no nicks on the lower unit at all. The only defect is where the boat cover wore out paint on the top of the engine cover. Is this a good price.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Is this a good price

I wanted some feedback about purchasing an engine. I was looking at a 1996 40hp 2 cylinder johnson with trim and tilt and with all of the controls. The person wants to sell it for $1200. It has good compression and it runs like a top. It is my first time buying an outboard so I do not know. It also looks mint with no nicks on the lower unit at all. The only defect is where the boat cover wore out paint on the top of the engine cover. Is this a good price.

I agree, that's a nice price. The shape of the skeg sounds good too. Have you run it on a boat at the lake? They all run good on muffs!
Sounds like a nice motor for a really good price........
Good luck,
JBJ

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I paid about the same price for about the same motor.
I have no regrets.
:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good price if it is in good shape.

cmuzzy

Cadet

I just had my first test run with the new motor and it is great. Thanks for all of the advise I am very pleased.