is this a good deal?

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice
i've been looking for me first boat and i went for a test ride in a 1972 or 76(he didn't know offhand) 17' starcraft aluminum V bottom whitch seats 6 or 7 i think they call it a bowrider, it has a mercury 9000 90hp motor (4cyl. 2stroke i think) with power trim. it gets up to bout 30 to 35 with 4 passengers. although its just an estimate as none of the gauges function(tach,speed,fuel) the steering seemed a little stiff but otherwise ran smooth. the interior was by no means perfect but decent and the exterior looked a bit beat up but no major damage. also has a trolling motor that i didn't test but he said worked. boat, motor, trailer. $1500 /sorry no pics..........jay...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: is this a good deal?

get the serial# of the merc, lets see how old it is. it does not sound bad. but maybe a little high. the starcraft is a great boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If everything works sounds like a good deal to me. The boat you're considering is exactly what I'd recommend to someone looking for an inexpensive first boat. Being aluminum, the only wood rot you have to worry about is the transom and floor, the replacement of which is not a bad job on an aluminum boat. I love my aluminum because I don't have to be as careful with it.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Book value" does not really apply to a 36 year old boat unless it is "collectible". The value will vary from high $ to "having to pay someone to cart it to the dump" depending on condition. The $1000 to $1500 is about the minimum value for a boat like that, if it is not worth that range it is probably a candidate for the junkyard. Buying a boat of that age is a gamble. It may give you several years of flawless performance or the engine could die the next time it is run. It is hard to tell. If you can afford to gamble, go for it. If not, pass until you can afford something better.

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice

i think it is a good deal. ive just been known to make bad buys. i couldn't find anything to match up with that serial # i got it from directly infront of the motor on the name plate???? another question is it necessary to tow this size of boat with a 4wd? i have a 2wd jimmy

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I paid $3,200 for a similar vintage Starcraft 18' Supersport. Probably looks the same as your, except mine came with a 70hp. No trolling motor either.

Yeah. I think it's a good price.

It is going to leak so make sure the bilge pump works, and is automatic. At least until you get around to fixing the leaks.

You'll do fine with a 2wd Jimmy. Might have the odd ramp that gives you a problem, but take it easy, have decent tires and you'll be fine.

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice

it is a supersport 18. does that mean its an 18 ft.

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice

well i bought the boat ive had it now for a couple weeks.. runs great...30-35mph. and thanks to this forum ive been able to fix the speedometer, tachometer, i've bypassed the trim limit to give me full control of trim, and i just replaced the rectifier to correct the charging problem and i have my eyes on replacing the floorboard and painting the hull as a winter project...thanks to all...i think im gonna like this new hobby...lol...jay

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good Jay, good luck. I too recently bought another boat and these forums are great. Now if I could just find one as good as this for my car :p hehe