Is this a fair price for a 2000 Bayliner Bowrider Capri/Is this engine size adequate

Justakid

Recruit
Hello,

I'm extremely new to the boating world and was wondering if anyone could lend me some of their expertise with respects to the following boat:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/3146588441.html

I've spoken with the owner and he's said that he's willing to take $6500. I've checked NadaGuides and it's valued this boat around $5000, but those are American values which I assume differ somewhat significantly from Canadian values.

Also, is the 135 HP Mercruiser enough power to pull a pair tubing with 3 other people in the boat?

Thanks for your time!!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Is this a fair price for a 2000 Bayliner Bowrider Capri/Is this engine size adequ

For around here, that would be in the reasonable price range for that boat at the beginning of the season. This time of year prices go down. Plenty of power to tow a tube with 3 on board. I slalom ski behind mine (which is a 195) at 32MPH with 4 in the boat.

Nada is a bit behind on these boats since the price has gone up so much in the past few years. In 2000 that boat probabally cost $10K. Today the exact same boat costs 20K

Looks nice in pictures, main thing is checking for any water damage in the floors and taking it for a spin on the water.

emoney

Commander
Re: Is this a fair price for a 2000 Bayliner Bowrider Capri/Is this engine size adequ

It would be too much for around here, but I'm in the "land of boats". Hard to say for your area. How does it compare to similar boats?

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

NADA value doesn't include the trailer so add for it.

Personally, I would consider the offer price a wee bit on the high side.

Tubing as you describe it ... absolutely. I have slalomed many a mile behind an older 3.0L in a 17 1/2 footer with three on board. Takes some time to get up but ...

TilliamWe

Banned

Nada is a bit behind on these boats since the price has gone up so much in the past few years. In 2000 that boat probabally cost $10K. Today the exact same boat costs 20K...

$21987 retail price according to Bayliner's website, actually! Spot on.

oldjeep

Admiral

$21987 retail price according to Bayliner's website, actually! Spot on.

I was amazed at how much prices have gone up in the past few years. My 2005 195 classic $12K in 2005 2012 Discovery 195 is the same boat with an uglier windshield - $25K. I understand why the used market is so crazy around here. I like my bayliner but I sure as heck wouldn't pay 25K for it.

NYBo

Admiral

NADA value doesn't include the trailer so add for it.
Not true. The pricing for this boat on NADA does in fact include the value of the trailer.

To the OP, the price is high, but if the boat is in exceptional condition, it might be worth it. NADA is a very rough estimate.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Around here, take NADA and double it to get a nice boat. NADA is artificially low to factor in high hour salt water boats.

The 135 horse engine should be a hanging offense. You can't give away a boat with that powerplant.

oldjeep

Admiral

The 135 horse engine should be a hanging offense. You can't give away a boat with that powerplant.

BS - most 17ft-19ft bowriders have that engine.

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

I recently bought a 1999 Capri 1950 in Florida. The boat has the exact same engine and the interior looks really similiar. Mine is a bit bigger and the 3.0 seems to be powerfull enough for me. We have towed a tube and wakeboarded behind it without a problem. My interior is in much worse shape compared to the one your looking at. Yours does look to be missing the two seats next to the engine dog house but I may be mistaken. I paid $4500 and have spent about a thousand in parts just to get it back into shape (I now feel that I paid too much). Again, yours looks a lot cleaner than mine. In Florida that is priced too high but if it looks good and runs better it might be priced well for your area.

oldjeep

Admiral

Yours does look to be missing the two seats next to the engine dog house but I may be mistaken.

Hmm - didn't even notice that, they definitly are missing and even if you never wanted to sit back there you need them to make the sundeck.