Is there anything wrong with being under proped?

Equis

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I have a 2003 115hp Merc on my new boat :) :) :) (well, new to me)<br /><br />I read the max rec rpm is between 4750 - 5250 rpm<br /><br />Before I knew this handy piece of info, I ran it up to 5500rpm<br /><br />Someone told me to try with a full load so I had 8 people & heaps of gear in the boat and still got to 5250 (had more to go)<br /><br />The boat can do 65kph and is really fast to plane/plain? , I also get really good fuel economy.<br /><br />Would it be worth it to change the prop to a higher pitch?<br />Would I gain much speed or lose fuel economy or power?<br /><br />If I keep this prop would it do any harm if I didn’t run above the rec rpm’s?<br /><br />Thanks for all you help :) <br /><br />Rhys<br /><br />P.S when the engine is trimmed all the way down it works harder and sounds quieter so I was thinking more pitch would also make it work harder/run quieter, not sure about this one though..

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Is there anything wrong with being under proped?

I'd go to a higher pitch. You can always keep that one for a spare or as a good pulling prop. Those motors don't tolerate overrevving too well. Shoot for 5250 with a "normal" load at full throttle.

Clams Canino

Commander

I'm with Willy.... those four cylinder 115's don't like to be overreved and have a nasty little habit of breaking crankshafts as the prefered method of complaining. :D <br /><br />I know you say you're gonna watch the tach.... watch it well then and be carefull.<br /><br />-W

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I'd reprop. There is going to be that day when someone else will drive it, and will just run it wide open because there is an unfortunate amount of people who think that is what you are supposed to do in a boat. Better safe than sorry.

tibb

Cadet

My humble opinion is to compare the price of your motor to the price of a new prop. Hmmmmm.<br />Sounds like a no brainer to me. <br /><br />Heat is a huge enemy to these cylinders and running a motor, even near it's max rpm, decreases the hour-life of the motor considerably.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

sounds like you could drop 2 inches and still reach max rpm easily. its like you say, as long as you keep an eye on the tach you arent doing any harm. the day will come when you arent the driver however.<br />you should have your tach checked also. seems to me the rev limiter should be hit by then.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

If you're really serious about using your new boat, you'll need at least 6 props, and 4-5 more as spares along with a garage full of other bare necessitys we can get into later.<br /><br />For now though:<br /><br />I'd get a prop with 2 more inches of pitch, and check the tach's accuracy. If its as new as the engine- it should be real, real close if not dead on. Run it with a normal (for you) load in the boat, and go from there.<br /><br />Your speed may or may not change. But running that engine for extended periods above its recomended WOT will kill it.

Equis

Cadet

Thanks Heaps for all your advice!<br /><br />Yep, I'll start saving up for a newie, sounds like the best plan :) <br /><br />6 Props? Ummm, your yanking my chain yes?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rhys

Clams Canino

Commander

Originally posted by Equis:<br /> Yep, I'll start saving up for a newie, sounds like the best plan :) <br /><br />6 Props? Ummm, your yanking my chain yes?
You can get good used props cheap on Ebay. 6 props is kind of a joke, but the true disciples prolly have 3 or 4 - I know I do. Prop depends on my plans for the day.<br /><br />-W

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Equis:<br />[QB] 6 Props? Ummm, your yanking my chain yes?<br />/QB]
pretty much, but you'll be amazed at how stuff accumulates,,,,,