Is there a trick to removing the power head?

red240z

Cadet
I am trying to remove the engine on my 1984 9.8 hp Merc. I have removed the 6 nuts under the power head but it will only lift less than 3/8 on and inch. Is there anything else attached or should the power head just lift off?

Last edited:

red240z

Cadet
Re: Is there a trick to removing the power head?

Can I get some help here? 27 people have read my question but no one has left me any info to help me remove the power head. Someone out there has done this before, does the power head just lift off or is there something else holding it on??

donnyskz1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure the shift linkage on the lower unit it not attached anywhere. usually on the underside of the power head

7920hpMercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, lets see, you need to disconnect the wire to the kill switch on the side and ground wire. For a brown stripe, I think you have the newer design that has cables that pull on a pulley on the throttle shaft. You need to remove throttle handle and cable ends that connect to powerhead. Keep track of the position of the throttle cable tension nuts so you can get the cable tension set back correctly and which cable goes where (easy to reverse). Remove the end of the choke cable from the carb. Remove the tale tell hose from lower cowling. Remove the gas inlet connector. Think that is it. I suggest you get a Mercury service manual direct from Mercury or from ebay, worth it's weight many times in gold !!! Good luck.