Is there a thermostat on this thing?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is there a thermostat on this thing?

I doubt it has a thermostat. Few Merc inline motors of that vintage did. The parts list on Crowleymarine.com will tell you for sure.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If its the 4 cylinder 75hp it has no t-stat.................

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Back in those days, Merc thought their 40kv spark would do the job for them I guess.....just like they thought their carbon steel shafts would hold up to salt water. Either they thought that they were saving a buck, or it was just something to fail with corrosion and salt water and all and I totally agree with that. Butttt those problems can be protected against.

Don't know why it took them so long to follow OMC with stats, SS drive/prop shafts and all....I think the OMC SST beat Merc with a SS prop also....don't remember for sure.

Welllll they finally got the message and installed stats; don't remember the date but it was after '84 as I had an 85 of that year model and it didn't have one.

Now, the funny part. I bought a '74-'75 60 hp 3 cyl Rude that had a stat and guess what.... the only thing that ever failed on that engine was the stat and with no warning horn, one day at WOT it just locked up......$1000 later and a lot of work, it was back in service.

My 2c,

Mark

Alumarine

Captain

Just curious. Without a thermostat how do they regulate the temperature?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

No Mercury/Mariner (crossflow) inline 4 or 6 cylinder has ever had a t-stat. The inlines cool by volume not by pressure. Thats the reason a water pressure guage reads low on a inline engine, 0-3 psi at idle and 10-14psi @WOT. The water is restricted in the adapter plate and block to maintain a good running temp as water fills cylinder jug area first then thru exhaust plate and back into adapter plate.

Alumarine

Captain

Thanks for the explanation.

No Mercury/Mariner (crossflow) inline 4 or 6 cylinder has ever had a t-stat. The inlines cool by volume not by pressure. Thats the reason a water pressure guage reads low on a inline engine, 0-3 psi at idle and 10-14psi @WOT. The water is restricted in the adapter plate and block to maintain a good running temp as water fills cylinder jug area first then thru exhaust plate and back into adapter plate.