Is there a max RPM I can safely adjust the outdrive angle

johnv100

Cadet
I have read about how you can adjust the outdrive unit angle to achieve the best performance/speed according to the load of your boat. I took my boat out for the second time last weekend. There were 4 people in the boat. At 2500 RPM, I could only go about 25 MPH. To play it safe, I kept having to stop, put it in neutral and trim it up and down. When we got back, I talked to another boater at the launch ramp, and he said you can press the up or down button at any speed. I wonder is there a max RPM that I can still safely trim it up or down.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: Is there a max RPM I can safely adjust the outdrive angle

realy 25 mph on a gps and 2500 rpm isnt to bad
you can adjust at any rpm as long as you dont go in to the trailer position.
start with the drive down(this will help push bow down) and then when you get on plane bump the drive up(this will bring bow up) a little at a time till you get your best speed at the rpm your running. it just take a little adjustment to make a big difference

Bondo

Staff member

I wonder is there a max RPM that I can still safely trim it up or down.

Ayuh,....Trim can be adjusted at Any speed...

ziggy

Admiral

Trim can be adjusted at Any speed...
to emphasize that point. when i play, who's got the better hole shot with my buddies. from stop, it's full throttle w/ trim all the way in. as soon as i'm on plane i'm trimming up still while under full throttle load. i'll adj. to where i want all the way till i'm @ wot... granted i don't do this often, but i do do it..

side note, there are some drives that only have trailer function w/o trim function. if you have trim function, you can adj. whenever, if you don't you may not be able to trim at all, or shouldn't... Most stringer drives comes to mind, though some of them had trim, but it was accomplished from the ft. of the engine, not via trim rams.. anyways, have fun...

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah ^^^^^ what engine drive combo? Year model? Agree with the others with the exception of some OMCs that only have "tilt". With most Mercs and Volvos, the only real difference between trim and tilt is the height and safe RPM. Above safe limit is tilt, within safe limit is trim.

I am going to make an executive decision that this is NOT an engine topic so we'll leave it in the boating section . . .

Tonka Boater

Cadet

You can adjust the trim at any speed without harm. You should always start with it trimmed all the way down. Once you are on plane you can adjust in small increments as needed -- usually about 1/4 trim in most cases. You will actually feel the boat speed up when you hit the sweet spot. You will definitely know if you've trimmed to high....don't ask how I know :eek: Also, never put it into trailer mode while underway.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Well, Ithink this question has been well covered... TRIM at any speed... but don't go to high into the tilt or trailer function...

ziggy

Admiral

Yeah ^^^^^ what engine drive combo? Year model?
same one as in the sig QC.
'75 165hp L6 mecruiser, mc-1 drive..

QC

Supreme Mariner

I meant his and I was agreeing with you . . . LOL . . . I don't think we know what he has ;)

Jamie Z

Cadet

Hm. My trim doesn't go up at speed. I wonder if it's just that the trim motor isn't powerful enough to push the outdrive up. The trim adjust down at any speed, but I've noticed that once I get the boat above about 10 or 15 knots, I can no longer adjust it upward.

Jamie

johnv100

Cadet

Thank you all for your responses. Since I know it now, I can enjoy it more. I feel better knowing that 25 MPH @ 2500 RPM is good for my boat. After all, it's a 22 year old boat with all original parts and accs.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Hm. My trim doesn't go up at speed. I wonder if it's just that the trim motor isn't powerful enough to push the outdrive up. The trim adjust down at any speed, but I've noticed that once I get the boat above about 10 or 15 knots, I can no longer adjust it upward.

Jamie

Then you have an issue os some sort. Either your pump is low on fluid, you have a bad trim motor siolenoid, or you have a bad connection, either at the swith, trim mitor or solenoid.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This thread still leaves a hole for me.

1) johnv100, what drive and engine package and how old? If this is an OMC stringer you could do serious damage if it does not have "trim". Your control may say "trim", but that does not insure that it is trim. I am accused often of requiring too much clarity, but in the case of communicating technical info there is no such thing.

2) I am not confident that we can say that 25 MPH and 2500 RPM is good without knowing what the boat/engine/drive combo is. If this is a 28 footer with a single small block, then the data is probably off. If this is an 18 footer with a big block, then she is slow. If this is a 20 footer with a small block, then prolly just right. An accurate answer requires more info (see point 1). Accurate tach? GPS speed? Boat and power package info.

Jamie Z, you should probably post a thread in the I/O section. You do have a problem and it needs to be addressed over there . . . ;) The reason I left this thread in the Boat Topics section is that it is an operation question, not a repair question.

One reason that it is important to have these threads technically accurate is for the archives. When others use the search function, a "completed" discussion can make that waaaay more valuable :)

johnv100

Cadet

QC,

I have a 21' 1987 Chris Craft Cavalier Cuddy Cabin with a Mercruiser V6, 175 HP. It's an Alpha One Power package with a stern drive. It has the up and down switch on the shift level, but no trailer switch.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Point 1 good! Point 2, I think your tach or speed is wrong. Sounds a little too good. If she's planing and you're happy then rock on :) Thanks for the follow-up!!