Is there a flywheel cover for the 25R71 1971 25HP Johnson?

cocotower

Seaman Apprentice
The subject line says it:

Is there a flywheel cover for the 25R71 1971 25HP Johnson?

That thing is clanky and sounds like a jackhammer when the starter gear shoots up and catches it. Anything to muffle that sound is a friend of mine.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is there a flywheel cover for the 25R71 1971 25HP Johnson?

Is there any sound-deadener(?) in the hood? If not maybe try to fab up some type of foam to glue it to the hood. I think thats just the way it sounds, not a bad trade-off for the ease of electric starting.

kbait

Commander

Once the recoil disengages from the flywheel upon starting, it should not be clanking. Something's loose/wrong w/your recoil. Pull it off and check it out.

Good luck!

cocotower

Seaman Apprentice

Once the recoil disengages from the flywheel upon starting, it should not be clanking. Something's loose/wrong w/your recoil. Pull it off and check it out.

Good luck!

My starter is electric. The loud noise is when the flywheel is turning mated with the starter gear. When the motor is hard to crank and it's turning over it's quite noisy if the hood is off.

I greased the starter shaft up top today and it didn't make a hill of beans difference in the noise.

I guess I'm going to have to record the motor turning over and use my computer to slow the video down 50 times and find out what's happening.

cocotower

Seaman Apprentice

No sound deadener foam in the cover any more but I plan to add some back. I also think the starter may need shimming. I'll know soon.