Is there a dip stick on top of my leg

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1986 volvo 290. I have read the big flathead bolt at top of leg is a dipstick? I cant crack it if my life depended on it. Is it even a dip stick?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is on my SX Drive.
However you have a Different Drive. Do you have an Owners or Service Manual, even a Parts Diagram?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, in the center of the cap. fill is forward right bolt.

us an impact driver

get the factory manual. you will need to reseal your drive if you havent had it done yet.

Fun Times

Staff member
1986 volvo 290. I have read the big flathead bolt at top of leg is a dipstick? I cant crack it if my life depended on it. Is it even a dip stick?
Yes a dipstick should be there and generally requires using an impact screwdriver set to get it loosened up.

1718960473031.png

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It is on my SX Drive.
However you have a Different Drive. Do you have an Owners or Service Manual, even a Parts Diagram?
I have a seloc guide for my years but they really dont say anything about the leg. Dont even say where the dipstick is lol.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Use the Seloc manual as toilet paper because it sucks as a manual

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

us an impact driver

get the factory manual. you will need to reseal your drive if you havent had it done yet

I need to reseal my drive

us an impact driver

get the factory manual. you will need to reseal your drive if you havent had it done yet.
I need to reseal the drive after checking the dipstick?! Or changing the oil. How do I re seal the drive? I know literally nothing about marine engines. Quite frustrating when you have nobody to teach you

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Dont know what to do. Dipstick in 290 leg is seemingly fused. Was told needed impact screwdriver. Went and bought one. It tried to crack it a dozen times after hitting it with hammer. Didnt crack the damn bolt.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
For the oil change here is a vid on YouTube showing a how to for your drive: link.
And I hear ya about frustrating with no one by your side to teach. What I have learned is that this forum, Google, and YouTube are your friends. And you need to have the manuals by your side. Get them. While the combination of these resources will in no way make up for having 20 or 30 years’ experience, the only way to get it is to try. Mistakes will happen, no question, but you will gain confidence in not only your skills but your ability to do research. Personally, I enjoy the road of discovery and paths not previously taken. I am approaching 70 and get a lot of enjoyment out of doing my own work. So, hang in there, learn and have some fun! 😊

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For the oil change here is a vid on YouTube showing a how to for your drive: link.
And I hear ya about frustrating with no one by your side to teach. What I have learned is that this forum, Google, and YouTube are your friends. And you need to have the manuals by your side. Get them. While the combination of these resources will in no way make up for having 20 or 30 years’ experience, the only way to get it is to try. Mistakes will happen, no question, but you will gain confidence in not only your skills but your ability to do research. Personally, I enjoy the road of discovery and paths not previously taken. I am approaching 70 and get a lot of enjoyment out of doing my own work. So, hang in there, learn and have some fun! 😊
This forum just makes it worse lol. Always have contradicting answers. Or ppl who give a half answer then don’t respond 😂😂

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes a dipstick should be there and generally requires using an impact screwdriver set to get it loosened up.

View attachment 399609
Bought an impact. Whacked it a few times til it turned. Did that a dozen times. Dipstick seemingly fused to the case. Didnt budge. Dont know what to do. Ill just run her dry I guess.

Fun Times

Staff member

Skip the dipstick and add a bit of extra oil in the fill area.

That or you could try removing the whole top cover including the stick.

Last edited:

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is wheat and there is the chaff. That is part of the research coupled with having the manual. I have found a lot of wheat in this forum but you can decide. For this issue there are on eBay and elsewhere gearcase covers with included dipstick as FT highlights. Here is one link. Not sure it’s the exact one you need but these covers are available. And being very careful, I have found that heat usually is the cure for all things stuck. So, if you are willing to risk it, get a propane torch using a small tip like the tip of a pencil (so is a small, focused flame) and heat the dipstick right in the middle. Not red hot, but it may smoke a little (O-ring burning up), so stop and try with the impact again. No joy? Heat a little longer and try again. Good luck and do not give up.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bought an impact. Whacked it a few times til it turned. Did that a dozen times. Dipstick seemingly fused to the case. Didnt budge. Dont know what to do. Ill just run her dry I guess.
how long have you been skipping the annual and semi-annual and 50 hour maintenance?

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There is wheat and there is the chaff. That is part of the research coupled with having the manual. I have found a lot of wheat in this forum but you can decide. For this issue there are on eBay and elsewhere gearcase covers with included dipstick as FT highlights. Here is one link. Not sure it’s the exact one you need but these covers are available. And being very careful, I have found that heat usually is the cure for all things stuck. So, if you are willing to risk it, get a propane torch using a small tip like the tip of a pencil (so is a small, focused flame) and heat the dipstick right in the middle. Not red hot, but it may smoke a little (O-ring burning up), so stop and try with the impact again. No joy? Heat a little longer and try again. Good luck and do not give up.
Will try! Thanks

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the link too!