Is there a better latch for my engine cover?

Homerr

Commander
2001 Bayliner 2150LX...

My engine cover has those low-profile rubber latches (see photos). Problem is I noticed the starboard side is missing. The 'ol girl has been sitting for a long time and I'm getting her back on the water. Engine and drive is all back online and now I'm working my way forward. I vaguely remember that particular latch going AWOL just before I put the girl in hibernation.

These latches are rubber and 4" overall length.

I can get replacements easy enough, but the problem is I do recall often stepping on these latches when I'm fishing from the back of the boat. They sit almost right at floor level and in perfect position for my huge Sasquatch feet!. And if memory serves - it's probably why I'm missing one - I stepped on it one too many times and broke it! Oops.

Anyway.. I wanted to ask if there is a better latch (or solution) out there that I should take a look at? Something all-metal perhaps? Maybe a pin/lock style? I was thinking about those gnarly latches you see on some Jeeps ad similar truck hoods. They are heavy duty, but BIG. I'm wondering if there's something just as tough, but not as 'bulky' ?

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that's stepped on (and broke) these latches before?

Thanks in advance!

Bayliner engine cover latch.jpg

Bayliner engine cover latch2.jpg