Is the bilge drain hole to small or am I stupid

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a 2005 Chap 256SSi with the 6.2L. I'm trying to feed the oil drain hose through the bilge drain so I can drain and change the oil. It doesn't seem to want to fit through. The drain plug diameter seems bigger than the diameter of the hose....so confused.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not stupid. One of the screws securing the drain is actually a bolt that has a ground wire attached to it.
Is the ground wire attached to the bilge drain fitting normal? Is it for corrosion protection?
Is it possible the previous owner had a bilge plug light?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
simply raise the hose to inside the boat and install a pump on the end of the hose

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
it may be the bonding screw
Looks like it. I did some googling. It just threw me for a loop because my last boat didn't seem to have the same setup.

I was able to get my arm down there and remove the nut/wire and get the oil hose through the hole.

I guess it night night for the boat until next season.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
turn the connector to re-aim the wire

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The vacuum pumps work well, my engine has the threaded fitting at the top of the dipstick tube and the vacuum pump will pump the pan pretty much dry in about 5 min. As noted above you could hook up a vacuum pump to this hose inside the boat and it would probably work even better since it pulls from the bottom of the pan. I don’t think I’d bother with the struggle of trying to get the hose through the garboard drain hole. More trouble than its worth.