is oversized motor a danger

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 19' fiberglas bowrider. The tag says it is rated for 140HP and I was going to put a 115HP Yamaha on it. I have a chance to put a 225HP Yamaha on it for the same price as the 115HP. My mechanic says they are the same size physically.<br />Would I be overstressing the transom, or overweighing the back end if I did this?<br />Am I going to use much more gas? He thinks I will use less as I won't be powering the boat as fast. <br />I don't know what to believe? Any suggestions?

D

DJ

Re: is oversized motor a danger

Some people here will say-"go for it". Others will say-"no way".<br /><br />I'm in the "no way" camp. You are not looking to exceed it by a little bit. A 225 is GROSSLY exceeding the rating.<br /><br />You'll have trouble from three places.<br /><br />1. Water police.<br /><br />2. Insurance Co.<br /><br />3. The boat.<br /><br />Pick your poison.

phatmanmike

Captain

NO, i could see going from a 115 to a 140 but not a 225, thats a huge v6

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Your in Canada, and I would first check how your insurance regulations and local law would look at doing this..here in Florida You could get away with this on all fronts.....You really need to consdider the overall condition of your boat and its hull design...is the hull the kind of hull that can be driven upto 80 MPH? What about the aerodynamic lift issue at that speed for your hull design? Torq loads on the transom are going to be double what the 140 would be when doing a hole shot. As a big proponent of lots of power..this one is kinda stretching it... :cool:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I don't kow the year motors you are talking about but 115s are V4s & 225s are V6s so they are not the same size. Also figgure on 11.5 gallons per hr for the 115 at WOT and 22.5 gallons per hour for the 225.<br /><br />I'm with the rest of the folks in advising you that the 225 could point to big problems from many places.<br /><br />I had a 19'er with a 140 and it performed very well.

LubeDude

Admiral

Hey, Im allmost allways in favor of mating a boat with the max rated HP, But Im not for this one. Your mechanic freind is wrong about the size, the 225 is way heavier, If you came here for good advice, and figure on taking it, then you have your answer!<br /><br />Now, it sounds like maybe you have found a good deal on the 225, so how about finding another boat that will handle that engine?

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I decided against the deal last night. The idea was kind of bothering me to begin with, but with all of your advice saying no, it made for an easy decision. I am going to stick between 115HP and<br />150HP. Thanks.

LubeDude

Admiral

Good decusion, except the 150 HP part, The 150s are V6s, and weigh nearly as much as the 225, stick with the rating your boat was rated for.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your boat is very old lets say pre '83 it was probably rated for a crank-rated 140. The 115 will probably give you near the same performance as some of the older 140's. Don't over power!