Is Nasa Nuts

dolluper

Captain
I just heard they launched the DEEP IMPACT mission yesterday to blow up a comet,sheduled to happen July the 4th amazing what length's they will go to for fireworks that day .Do you think it's really worth it? Where are all these pieces going to end up ,in our back yards ,on the WHITE HOUSE,or maybe BEN Laddin's head [better result] I'am a wondering :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is Nasa Nuts

They are not going to "blow up" a comet.<br /><br />They are going to simulate a collision with a meteor or asteroid, then study the crater for info about the makeup of the comet.<br /><br />There is no danger of debris falling on earth.<br /><br />Now that you mention it, though, a Tungusta-like event over Bin Laden's refuge might be a good idea. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I heard they were sending a crew led by Bruce Willis to land on it, drill a hole & set off roman candles or something...

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> I heard they were sending a crew led by Bruce Willis to land on it, drill a hole & set off roman candles or something...
Bruce Willis is Yesterday, they will send a real man.......................... John Kerry :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I heard that this is really about future need to blast asteroids and the like before they impact earth. This mission is merely to work on sight alignment and collect trajectory data.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

real men do not shoot game farm geese with $10K Purdee sxs scatterguns for political photo ops (kerry). <br /><br />Real men shoot comets and asteroids with space missles (GWB).

JB

LMAO at pjc. :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nasa has the coolest toys...<br /><br />What they find inside the comet could help to explain the origins of our solar system :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

If there is going to be any blowing up of stuff, I want in on it cause of love to blow things up :D :D :D

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Spinner hasnt been blowing things up for awhile. Must be some serious dust on them explosives you have hidden. I agree with the target practice on comets. We need to know how to deflect these things or blow them up so if one is going to hit, we have a chance to do something about it. I dont know physics but I thought that even if we were to blow one up that we would still have the same mass hitting the earth except in smaller pieces. I would guess the atmosphere would burn some of them up

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

They are exploring the possibility of mining asteriods for precious materials. Once they do the R+D with taxdollars NASA will be privatized.<br /><br />or<br /><br />Nuclear Space Weapons.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br /> Nasa has the coolest toys...<br /><br />What they find inside the comet could help to explain the origins of our solar system :)
Yep..."Let there be...", and there was.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> They are exploring the possibility of mining asteriods for precious materials. Once they do the R+D with taxdollars NASA will be privatized.<br /><br />or<br /><br />Nuclear Space Weapons.
Probably looking for oil...

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yup...the only problem when/if they find oil is then we have to set up a puppet government with the native alien race to keep the other aliens races out...then when they get pissed off at us for trying to run their astroid..we will have to invade it and protect all the aliens that were being oppressed by the bad guy we put in charge. After "mission accomplished" we will continue to send soldiers there to die so that the oil...opps I mean oppressed alien race is safe. <br /><br />-JustMrWill

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why does the world need to find out about a stupid comet anyway? Sounds like a waste of 330 million dollars to me! I can't see how its gonna benefit anyone. The whole space exploration thing in general is a bit pointless?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Yes and I bet many of the Spanish thought that it was a waste of money for columbus to set sail as well. You kill me Rudderman.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well lets face it, the chances of humans ever finding a new natural home out in space is pretty small.

SpinnerBait_Nut

They are just doing some practice runs for the big rock that is suppose to hit in 2009 I think is what I read.<br />I will find out.<br />Stay tuned.