Is my outer bearing carrier rotated? Could this cause my impellers to burn up.....

hornetswarm

Seaman Apprentice
FYI- I replaced all seals that I could without taking any gears out of the lower unit. Now it looks like my bearing carrier has rotated in the housing. Seems like the holes should be perpendicular to the skeg....your thoughts....

FYI- Lower unit is fine- no leaks, gears are good, no play, shifts in and out of gear....my only problem is water flow.... I think the bearing carrier rotated has made the flow of water not correct..

My engine is a Force 125HP 1989 "L" drive...

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is my outer bearing carrier rotated? Could this cause my impellers to burn up...

There is enough clearance in the lower unit that position of the bearing carrier does not matter. Strictly speaking, the bolts should be positioned so the two 1/4-20 Anode mounting/puller holes are vertical. This will allow minimum blinding of the inlet slots.

If your bearing carrier has rotated, that means that the four retaining bolts were not tight enough. They need to be 225 inch pounds just like the head bolts.

Impellers burn or melt due to no water flow. Look to the top plate. There is no seal at the top of the water chamber. If the plate is warped and drawing air, then not enough water will get to the pump. It will be difficult to prime and that may cause your problem. If the rear of the top plate is damaged, seal it with some silicone RTV. See if that helps.

hornetswarm

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is my outer bearing carrier rotated? Could this cause my impellers to burn up...

Mr Acampora,

Thanks, the water pump housing, plate, and gaskets are new. Except the three times I have had to pull it off for a new impeller. LOL I used a light bit of water pump rtv to seal up the dings on the new/old gasket, but the plates still look real good to me. When I sqeeze the mufs on the lower unit with the lower unit off of the boat water works its way up out the tube that goes into the power head. But if I don't squeze the muff no water will get to the tube. I think my main problem is muffs.

Do I need to do anything about the bearing carrier? Or just leave it?

FYI- I really think it is my muffs. I put the mufs on and unless I hold the muffs super tight then I don't think enough water is pressure is buidling. I live an hour away from water....and I have tried to put the lower unit in a box filled with water The box just barely goes over the muff inlets and it still does not work.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure the bolts are fully tightened. Perhaps it is the muffs you are using. It is difficult to tell from here LOL

fucawi

Banned

personally when I put in a new impeller I put some grease on it to stop any inital burn... You need the whole lower unit just under water andspin it with a drill....you must have a distbin ...ps empty it first .....If you lower unit pumps in a bin re fit it and off to the lake ..I had lots of motor that dont like muffs..

Attachments

• DSCF0419.jpg
    DSCF0419.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0

hornetswarm

Seaman Apprentice

I will get a new impeller this week, try new muffs and somesort of tank to submerge the lower unit in again. Thanks for the inputs. FYI- torqued the bolts to 225. They were about 180...ugh..guess I don't have that calibrated elbow like I thought...