Is My OMC 3.0l worth rebuilding

cmyers72

Cadet
It seems to be seized. If the block isn’t cracked. I have been asking others question but no help that’s ok. I am new to boats. But I am mechanically incline I have been an aircraft mech for 12 years and I also when to school to work on car but I have to say in look like it can become very complicated when it comes to any thing with the stern drive, not to worried about the engine part just need to know where to get part for it. It is a Gm block thank for any help.

jlcjtc

Seaman
Re: Is My OMC 3.0l worth rebuilding

my guess is that you may come out just as good to order a rebuilt motor, it would save you some time and headache :)

cmyers72

Cadet

thanks I was just looking I can get a rebuild kit for around $500. what do you thing a reman engine will cost.

jlcjtc

Seaman

you could probably get one for under 1000, do some research on the net for a used or reman motor

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

a reman would cost u more than 1000k. if u can get parts for $500. & know what you're doing i would go that route. the reputation of these outfits {except mercruiser} that sell reman engines leave a lot to be desired. if u do the slightest thing wrong when running one of these engines & something goes wrong, they will void the warranty. it's just not worth the risk. just my .02.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You don't mention model # and so forth so with that in mind ,shop carefully.You will need to find a crank that will bolt up to that coupler and that can set you back time wise when you find out the coupler you have won 't bolt up to the flywheel.Been there.