Is my motor enough?

Salmonator

Cadet
I am looking at buying a 22' striper walk-around cuddy with a 94 Johnson 140 with a doelfin. Will this motor be enough for this boat with 4 guys and gear and 60+ gallons of gas? Thanks in advance... Joe

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is my motor enough?

Yo, salmonator. What is the boat rated for? Many boats will perform well with 50% of rated hp. Most will do well with 70% of rated hp. My wild guess is that that Striper is rated for about 200hp and that the 140 will give you good performance with an average load. Next, look at persons and weight the boat is rated for, 4 rods and their gear plus 60 gallons at 6lb per gal will come to right at 1000pounds, If the boat is rated for 6 or more people and at least,2000 lb of fuel and tools, You shoudn't have any problems, If you get close to top rated loading youi might get in trounble with only 140 horses.<br /><br />So, salmonator, look at the boat's load rating in people and pounds, then look at power rating in hp. With half of rated load you need half of the rated power, 3/4 load, 3/4 power, and if you expect to go to fuul load, give it full rated power.<br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif