Is my fuel mileage good?

Cast-Away

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 17' Smoker with a 75hp 4 stroke Merc. The boat fully loaded weighs 1500 lbs. I had 800 lbs of people in the boat. I cruised for 4 hours at 25mph and estimate the fuel mileage to be 9 miles per gallon. Is this good?

bassndude

Cadet
Re: Is my fuel mileage good?

You're killin' me here!<br /><br />I run a 20' Stratos bassboat with a 225 Johnson 2-stroke. I get 3 mpg at best.<br /><br />From my readings I have noticed that the optimal RPM range for most larger boat/motor apps runs around 3000 to 4500 RPM Most running in the 3500 RPM range. What ever speed that ends up being. Of course load and set up have a little to do with it.<br /><br />I am not sure about your particular horsepower but that sounds awful good to me... I would die for that kind of mileage. 56 gallon tank I get 150 to 170 miles out of it. That's it.<br />Frank

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cast-away,<br />I'd say that's great!<br />I get 5.5 miles per gal on an 85hp 2 stroke sitting on a 16'6" boat!<br />(Jesus that took some converting from metric)<br />You appear to have a top runner there sport.....<br />Ross

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will not call you a liar but I will swap you boats anytime you want. Besides, I wouldn't lie to you, I'd tell it to you three or four times before I lied to you.<br /><br />Oh,don't forget to put the plug in.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mileage sounds good. I get about 4.5, Rude 150 on an 18' hull. <br />You get better with your boat than I get with my tow vehicle.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

9MPG on a Boat that size with a 75hp IS OUT OF sight! I think it's bringing me to tears! Stick with it!<br /><br /> Rick

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

No matter the actual calculations are correct, there is no doubt regarding the principle. A 1.6 litre 4-cyl 75 hp 4-stroke with the latest in electronics compared to a 3-litre V-6 225 hp 2-stroke with 4 carbs... even the fuel supply line has to be heavier.<br />It produces more than 3 times the power, so expecting a mileage like the 75'er makes no sense.<br /><br />Add to this the simple fact, that the way you squeeeze the handle affects comsumption as do the way you use your boat. Cruising with a maximized prop takes a lot less than pulling skiers all day.