Is my beater boat worth it?

newbnewbwi

Cadet
Serial starts with WSZ which I see might be WI homemade boat. It has Sea Nymph stickers. Could be put on after fact.

Last 3 is 616 which I think is June 1961...

Coast Guard plate is rubbed clean not embossed in the aluminum.

It has a tiller 1962 Johnson 18hp FD-16 outboard. electric start and pull cord
starts fast

Reg tags say 14' but I measured 12'. Dnr claims they cant change it.

It has 2 anchors that roll up by handle and rest horizontally in a support set up

It has a little old trolling motor tiller.

4 cross member seat aluminum with 2 bass pro shop seats

rod holders styrofoam kind with plastic bracket

Decent trailer...

What is something like this worth?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
After 3 posts you can post pics, Read the stickys at the top of the forum on how, and let us see some pics.

southkogs

Staff member
And the fast answer is ... about as much as you enjoy it.

Otherwise, it's not worth too much. Boats are kinda' funny like that, they don't hold much of a value in many cases. You just like 'em or ya' don't. So, if you're wondering if you should keep it - if it runs and works, yes. If you're wondering if you'll make much selling it, the answer is, probably not.

Like grub says though, let's see some pics.

Welcome aboard.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Forget about using the HIN being able to tell you anything. A WSZ MIC says the HIN is assigned by Wisconsin. Sometime during the boat's life she was re-HIN'ed by the state.

For example, my boat was bought with an out of state bill of sale and no title from a title state, along with the fact that she was built before any HIN requirements. The GA DNR assigned a HIN so she could be registered, even though GA does not title boats. If I had the out of state title, the original serial number could be used to register her. The DNR Ranger who inspected her said if I wanted to use the boat in my lifetime, a state HIN was the way to go. It took 10 minutes and the HIN begins GAZ and ends in 11. No way is she a 1911 or 2011 model boat and I do have the original serial number plate to prove it! :smile:

newbnewbwi

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. Its a small boat but its.enjoyable for sure. I plan to use it to take my wife and girls out for fishing. That is priceless.

Last edited:

newbnewbwi

Cadet
I bought the whole setup from a lady and her husband passed away 6 years ago. Tags expired 9 years ago. The motor runs fairly well. It has reverse, forward and neutral.

Couple issues:
I have some leaking of oil/gas mix near inlet screen. Not sure why. Ideas?

I see some white milky oil mix which comes from exhaust and gearing area. That I want to address asap.
Seems like whole lower unit needs addressing asap. Im sure seals dried out over the years.

What I think I need:

I need a complete overhaul guide. Does anyone know of links or posts here that can give me a full guide? I research parts and find them fairly cheap. I want to search for the next 4 months to gather all the parts I need.

I found one that has 422 pages but I have no idea if it is motor specific. Ive looked at an online engine site.

Mod EDIT: competitor sites are blocked by the server.

Its my main site but it would be nice to have input from the members here.

Ive seen posts here about how the newer 20hp motors share parts. I also know Evinrude also has same parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Overhaul guide for the motor? Or the boat?

If motor, start a topic in the engine forum:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...rude-outboards

Discuss the motor there ^^^ lots of great engine help there. Some here too, but this sub-forum is more for boat work and repair, not engine rebuilds.

Treat this as your rebuild topic for the boat in general.
Mod note: Please remember that iboats is an online retailer, and refrain from posting competitor info and links.

Thank you.​
Now, about those pix

newbnewbwi

Cadet
Boat body

Attachments

• DSC_0252.jpg
    DSC_0252.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0253.jpg
    DSC_0253.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0260.jpg
    DSC_0260.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0254.jpg
    DSC_0254.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0261.jpg
    DSC_0261.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0259.jpg
    DSC_0259.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0263.jpg
    DSC_0263.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0262.jpg
    DSC_0262.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0272.jpg
    DSC_0272.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0283.jpg
    DSC_0283.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0

newbnewbwi

Cadet
Hey thanks for the tip up. I will jump into those forums. Just looking for some info to find them quicker.

Overhaul guide for the motor? Or the boat?

If motor, start a topic in the engine forum:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...rude-outboards

Discuss the motor there ^^^ lots of great engine help there. Some here too, but this sub-forum is more for boat work and repair, not engine rebuilds.

Treat this as your rebuild topic for the boat in general.
Mod note: Please remember that iboats is an online retailer, and refrain from posting competitor info and links.

Thank you.​
Now, about those pix

southkogs

Staff member
Good fishin' rig. Probably my favorite setup for fishing inland. Do some searchin' in the Evinrude / Johnson forums, and then start posting some of your overhaul plans. Start by cleaning, replacing the impeller, swapping the lube and lookin' for stuff that is rotten.