Is my 1986 85HP Force allergic to salt water???

tasmania105

Cadet
First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jaime and I'm from CT, I recently purchased a 1986 Bayliner with a 1986 85HP FORCE outboard motor which was tested by a mechanic on land with the earmuffs and running water.

The problem that I just ran into is that when I tried to put the boat in the water, it starts right up and idles fine like the mechanic said, but when I want to shift into reverse or forward the engine seems to stall.

I would appreciate if you guys would give me your personal input on this subject or even if this has happened to any of you in the past and how I should go about fixing this problem. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I hope that you guys can be of great help.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Is my 1986 85HP Force allergic to salt water???

idle speed is set with engine in gear. If you set published idle speed with engine in neutral than engine will stall when you put it in gear.

Aluminum and stainless put into a tank of electrically conductive water saltwater is a weak battery. The corrosion can not be stopped but it can be redirected. Keep your anodes healthy including the one that runs across bottom of trim. Wash and flush your engine with fresh water as much as you can. Use anti-seize compound. etc etc

tasmania105

Cadet

I'm not exactly sure what your are trying to tell me??? Can you or someone else explain to me what is being said...This is my first boat and like I said, I'm new to the boating world.

Thanks for your help!:)

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

turn your idle speed up a little bit, in neutral about 1000 rpms, in gear 750 to 800

hoofbite

Seaman

If you haven't already. Do your self a favor and get your self a manual for the motor. So far it's helped me tremendously!! It will tell you exactly where and how to adjust the idle. I've found people here can be most helpfull but can't always "draw" you a picture. Every one who wants to attempt work on an outboard who is not an expert/marine mechanic would be foolish to do so with out the manual trust me I learned the hard way. Good luck and happy boating!

RRitt

Captain

Anything made with both aluminum and stainless will self destruct when put into salty water. It is the nature of metal. It can't be stopped but you can slow down the damages.

Your engine is mostly aluminum so that it doesn't weigh 600Lbs and sink your boat. However, aluminum is not strong enough for nuts, bolts, and shafts. These parts are made from stainless. There is nothing you can do to stop your outboard engine from self destructing in salt water.

Ask a mechanic to show you where your anodes are. Check them every time you use you boat and make sure they are still shiny metal. Wash as much salt as you can off of your boat as often as you can. You won't stop the corrosion but you will add a bunch of years onto the life of your boat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No not alergic. The idle might not be set up enough to shift when it gets in water.It should be about 750-800rpm in gear.
Get a manual or go to the library.Read up.J

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same exact engine and the anode is behind the prop.

tasmania105

Cadet
I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me with all of their input, unfortunately the weather hasn't been on my side and I haven't been able to put the water on the water (saltwater) as soon as I do I will let you guys know how everything went...

You guys are welcomed to keep bringing your recommendations to the table.

tasmania105

Cadet

I wanted to thank everyone once again for all of your help. I got the motor running yesterday fine and it no longer stalls when shifted into forward or reverse. All we had to do was adjust the idle.
Now I have a different problem, the new problem is that whenever the boat is running and you give it too much gas it starts to die down and it finally stalls out.
Hopefully someone can help me with this issue! Thanks!

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman

I had this problem with a 1978 85hp. It would idle and go up to about 3000 rpm, but any throttle input after that would kill it. I pulled off the exhaust plate to look for a restriction and noticed a big hunk missing from the #1 piston. I assumed this to be the problem, got a parts motor and swapped powerheads.