Is my 10hp 4-stroke honda worth fixing?

fishmaycraft

Cadet
I just bought a 10hp 4 stroke Honda which I believe to be a 1978 for $400. I bought it from a friend of a friend and my friend said he fished off a boat with it on it this summer and it ran great. Anyway, I dropped it off at a Honda dealer in Wilson, NC to have him do a regular service (oil, lower unit etc.) I haven't even tried to crank it myself. He calls me today and says the carb has a problem (shooting gas when priming the bulb or somehting) and the recoil is shot (I don't know what that is). Anyway he says it will cost at least $100 to fix the recoil and at least $75 to fix the carb.<br />I figure if I have him fix it I'll be in on this thing for ~$600. <br />I called my friend and he said he would apply lots of pressure to his buddy to refund my money if I want him to, based off the fact he said it ran great ,(I'm not expecting anything good in that request anyway, but we'll see)<br />So my question is, what would you do? Fix it for another $200, or try and get my money back?<br />FMC

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is my 10hp 4-stroke honda worth fixing?

tough call, but i would tend to get your money back, unless you can do the work yourself.<br />i bought a 1993 8 hp honda for $400, ran it for <br />2 years and sold for $350 as is.<br />if it's in really good condition otherwise,<br />it may be worth fixing.<br />price the parts and a manual, and see if it's<br />something you can do.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Get your money back. Even in pristine condition it has very little value. Back in 78 they sold for around $650.00 new...It has no book value at all and due to the cost of repair it's way outside of keeper unless your a do-it-your-selfer.

TimMattson

Seaman

Ive ran my 1979 Honda 10 a bunch and while having demoed a 8 hp Nissan for a Salmon season,I couldnt justify the $ of a new motor(even at COST) when my $500.00 ,used 2 cylinder runs smoothly year after year and HAS ALT output, stock.<br /> $720.00 buys you a nice little 1 cyl 2 stroke with no throttle on the handle,No Alt output but at least warranteed to rattle for 2 years......Try for a kickback or at least verify good ,even compression before spending on repairs.<br /> The recoil could be swapped for a used one that bolts on with three screws.The key to the recoil is to use loctite on the center screw so it doesnt spin loose each time you use it.<br /> The only knock on the Honda(Besides part prices) is the extra 20 lbs. of weight that makes my SAFE boat list when pulling on the trailer.A 5 gal bucket of water on the opposite side solved this problem.<br /> Tim M

gss036

Commander

If you cannot get your money back, have the friend attempt to get the seller to pay for the fix since he obviously lied to you about the condition. That would seem fair to me.