is mud flaps needed in alberta for trailer

albertaborn

Cadet
just built a trailer and havent noticed if other trailer out there have mud flaps to make them legal in alberta canada. any thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: is mud flaps needed in alberta for trailer

Ayuh,... Usually fenders are all that's required..

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Did you mean mud flap or fender???

Ironpig

Seaman

Technically I think that everything is supposed to have mud flaps. Cars trucks, vans etc. I haven't seen a boat trailer with them on it ever. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried because the vin guy is coming to look at the trailer, don't. I just had them here for my trailer and he didn't say a word about it.

82mustang

Seaman

Everyting is suppose to provide some protection of water spray when driving in the rain. Look at a big rig, they don't have flaps on all the axles. Mudflaps are not required, but im sure its written somewhere (custom motorcycle builders probally know best) that its a % of the tire must be covered

With that being said, I put mudflaps on my trailer, cause I'm down a dirt road, and was tired of washing my boat every time I went down the road when wet.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Everyting is suppose to provide some protection of water spray when driving in the rain. Look at a big rig, they don't have flaps on all the axles. Mudflaps are not required, but im sure its written somewhere (custom motorcycle builders probally know best) that its a % of the tire must be covered

With that being said, I put mudflaps on my trailer, cause I'm down a dirt road, and was tired of washing my boat every time I went down the road when wet.

For motorcycles, some places require a front and rear fender. How big it is, usually isn't written in the law so it's a discretion thing. Most provinces don't and won't enforce that kind of a law.

As for mud flaps on a boat trailer, doubt it's written in any road law saying they are required although I would imagine that a fender is. Either way, a mud flap is good insurance against rocks and such damaging your boat even with a fender in place. My Harley has full rear and front fenders (both with little mud flaps too) and I have occasionally been dinged in the leg by a small rock or two.