Is MBS a disease?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Here I was the other day browsing Ebay, minding my own business when a boat reached out and caught my eye. Now, I have a wonderfully beautiful Jet sitting in the garage about 2/3rds of the way to a new long shaft transom and a nice engine sitting next to it to be place thereon after the transom is in. But now another lady is trying to butt in! I hesitate in saying what it is for fear of the SC mob coming after me...... its a '55 Aerocraft 16' tinny, but has one little feature that no SC has- its a barrelback!! Now, I have been dreaming of a barrelback for close to a decade (significant since I am not even a quarter of a century old yet), and dimension wise its very similar to a Jupiter. I think I may be coming down with the MBS disease! It does not have an engine, and it is attempting to steal the Force away from the Jet..... Is there any cure for this situation? :confused: :facepalm::D

barato2

Commander
Re: Is MBS a disease?

MBS is not a disease, it's a state of grace. you can tell the afflicted by the distant gaze and the messianic zeal as they describe where their projects are going. think of Joan of Arc.......

seriously, get it if $ is right and you want it. they ain't makin no more and it's easy to store. i think i can speak for da Mob when i say that ANY pre-1960 tinny gets honorary membership in the 'mada. especially for those of us born after '55....my mom always taught me it's rude to criticize your elders!

barato2

Commander

Jas, he posted the link in the CL threead. i like it but $ is sure up there.....if he has his buy it now price at 1200, i'd guess his reserve is near 1000. lotta $. how's the transom and floors?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Here is the link to the full ebay site:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950...52783?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item56483b98ef

Barato, you are right- storing is easy and they just don't make them like that anymore! The transom sounds good, I dont know about the floors. My plan would be to strip everything out and rebuild it all. One of the things that caught my eye is look at the wake line... not the even curves found on later models but steep, then rounding off. Its calling my name!!;)

barato2

Commander

yeah, i agree, it's really pretty. since he mentioned scrap value, i'd use that as a basis for opening bid

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

MBS is a disease, the cure is worse though. Barrellbacks rock, I saw that two days ago on Ebay. I love it, get it and start a resto thread. I'll be there for you.;) Oooohh, Evinrude Lark, Javelin, Golden Javelin, oh the possibilities. Wait Bigtwin.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

yeah, i agree, it's really pretty. since he mentioned scrap value, i'd use that as a basis for opening bid

I emailed him and asked what his reserve was, he said it was set at $700 which sounds reasonable to be. The trailer is worth $250 ish and the scrap value off a 585 pound boat (if a person could bring himself to commit such a crime) would be another $300 ish. The other neat thing is that Aerocraft's were made in St. Charles Michigan, about 30 minutes from where I grew up!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

MBS is a disease, the cure is worse though. Barrellbacks rock, I saw that two days ago on Ebay. I love it, get it and start a resto thread. I'll be there for you.;) Oooohh, Evinrude Lark, Javelin, Golden Javelin, oh the possibilities. Wait Bigtwin.

The thing is I have 2 Evinrude big twins sitting in my garage at the moment- a 33 hp and a 40 hp- but they are both short shaft and supposedly this one needs a long. I did not know they made long shaft 50's back then- all that I have seen are shorts. I wonder if one could convert it to a short?

bananaboater

Ensign

I saw that barrel back too and dreamed. I think it is indeed rare and should not be turned into beer cans although if it does go to scrap that would be a fitting fate for the tin.

barato2

Commander

and mobile homes are coverin the Keys
i hate those bastxxxx so much
i wish a summer squall would blow them all
the way up to Fantasyland
they're ugly and square
they don't belong here
they looked a lot better as beer cans

Jimmy Buffett, ca. 1973

of course, this does not hold true for barrelback Aerocrafts! part of what i like about that one is that the aircraft DNA is really evident....the workers obviously went right from riveting B24s etc to riveting boats.

73, you do realize that OMCs of that vintage just use an "extension" leg to convert from short to long shaft? the leg and a longer driveshaft and shifter rod are all it takes to convert.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

No I didn't know that.... about I all I know about engines is that when you turn the key they are supposed to start (supposed to is the key part)! I am kinda thinking a Tower of Power would look awsome on it! I would think that it might be cheaper to buy a old running merc ($700 ish on cl) then finding those part- but then again I have no idea.

Barato, how's sunny Hell Paso? I worked there for 2 years and miss the warm weather even in the winter!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Just bought her! Now I have to wait till Friday to pick her up.... this is going to be a long week! I was browsing CL and found a '82 65hp merc for $850 obo in running order. Is there anyway to test it since its cold up here? I would think muffs would be a no go due to water freezing and such, but I don't want to drop that much coin not hearing it run!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Wow, what a beauty! Glad the guy didn't scrap it. You should have a lot of fun fixing that up & turning heads! Good luck with it, hope to see more pics of it when you get it home. Great price too!

barato2

Commander

score! you got something to be proud of there. a lot of us have built our tin pig's ears into silk purses but that one is silk on the worst day it ever had. bet you don't get as much poop from spouse neighbors etc when restoring an obvious piece of history like that.