Is it worth it?????

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
So I have been having issues with my Tilt and Trim. When I press the button the motor runs but does not lift the motor. I can lift the motor up but it doesn't hold itself in place it just comes right down. I found a little leak underneath one of the cylinders where the line connects to the tee. I bought a new tee and I cant even get the lines to line back up correctly. So I've been calling around to some Marine shops and one of them told me it's not even worth fixing it because its so old. The motor it a 74 115 hp Evinrude with an add on tilt and trim. He suggested to get a cmc tilt and trim but of course it's $600. I had one shop said they would look at it and they charge 85 per hr. I'm just confused as to what to do. I cant even run my boat because when the tilt and trim was added they removed my engine lock mech. I have no clue when it comes to boats. I've heard it could be the release valve is bad but then again I have no clue. I just bought this boat in the winter and it's my first but I cant even use it. I am going nuts any insite to this would be great!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it worth it?????

Hopefully by this time, you've got the lines hooked back up.

It sounds like the unit is low on hydraulic fluid. Have the engine in the fully tilted position, then fill the reservoir to overflowing. Now, release the engine from the tilt position, let it drop. then run the PTT electric motor. You may need to do this procedure a few times before the reservoir is actually full and the unit is purged of air.

MikeB0307

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not knowing how old the add on t&t is, it's hard to give an opinion. On most units you can rebuild the cylinders, replace pumps, etc. But, if you don't know what brand, approximate year, and model it is it becomes very difficult. I believe I'd be tempted to have a marine tech check it out, but I'd probably be shopping for a replacement as a back up plan.

Jeffneal1988

Cadet

Hey Joe when I do this do I want the manual release screw open or closed??

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hey Joe when I do this do I want the manual release screw open or closed??

If raising the engine by hand, then the valve must be open.... BUT.... when operating the unit with the electric motor, the valve must be closed.