is it worth it

brett1980

Recruit
i have a 1972 nineteen and it has some major cosmetic problems the seats in the back are rotting away it has holes that have been drilled in it for who knows. the foam needs to be replaced and the motor needs work along with the rubber boots that connect from the outboard to the transom and i have no idea where to start has anybody else went through these problems?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: is it worth it

i have no idea where to start has anybody else went through these problems?
i'd start with the boat. if the boat is'nt sound, there's no point to the rest of it. while i've not done anything like what yer talking about. from reading it sounds like aristocrafts may be a little better labor wise for rebuilding than other boats. mostly because of no stringers. sounds to me like on an aristocraft, ya get the old foam out, replace it and your hip. while that even sounds intimidating to me. it sounds better than removing the cap of the boat and having to remove old stringers and glass in new ones. or replacing the transom. as for your cosmetics. seat boards can be replaced. holes can be filled. it also seems to me that aristocraft may be a better bet than other boats too in that aristocraft is still viable. more so than many other mfgs. of the era. i mean, what other boat can ya get parts for that is 30+ years old from the oem?
there's also this good forum here. many folks over on the restoration forum rebuilding their boats. so there's much help at hand.
as for the boots on the drive. this is routine maint. a service manual and this forum and ya can take on many deeds. same with the engine. many good minds here on engines too. whatever ya do, i'd try to keep it as close to original as possible. keep your same engine/drive package. assuming it's a merc.
the only thing that'd really change my mind about restoring your boat might be if it had a omc drive in it. while i have no doubts that even an omc can be fixed up. it seems that if it's omc. that would be an obstical in itself. not something that can't be overcome, but something that would make doing the deed just a little harder to do. only because of the less support for omc do i say that. omc is obsolete. mercruiser isn't.
lastly, it seems to me that aristocrafts may be more a more desirable boat than many. they have a uniqueness to them + a following of folks that love aristocrafts. i know i'd seek another one out as i find that these boats are the most versatile boat i've ever seen. they were ahead of there time. all glass boats, slideing hardtops, pretty fast for the era. there's lots to like about them. good luck......

brett1980

Recruit

Thanks ziggy I don't feel alone now. I'll start with removing the foam and go from there.

natem

Recruit

new owner here...just picked up a 77 nineteen that needs interior work and a new engine.

Attachments

• 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 0