Is it worth it? - 1992 Four WInns

bobmwsc

Cadet
I've been scouring the internet for a boat for my family. I don't mind doing some work but I want to make sure I don't end up getting in over my head. I came across a 1992 Four Winns 18' bow rider with the 3.0 Mercruiser engine and a Four WInns trailer.. The interior looks like it needs some work but it appears complete. The listings states that the motor has a blown headgasket and it needs replacement. Is this indicative of a larger problem or is this something that should be easily repairable.

Price is under 500.

boat.jpg

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
That drive looks like an OMC and they have it tied up so something must be wrong with the tilt/trim system. It is more likely that the block is cracked than a blown headgasket. If the interior is that bad than it would have been left out in the weather and with rain water getting in rotted out the floors and stringers. If you look at the boat and the floors are soft it is probably worse underneath.

Do you have a link to a listing with more pics?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
It really depends on how much a project you want.

The boat (170 Freedom) is generally a good model. Only suited to calm, lake/river conditions. Not a big water boat at all. They have a very low bow with very little freeboard forward. Dangerous in anything more than 1-3 foot waves.

BUT, the hull shape makes for a quick, decent handling boat and the 3.0 is good power for the boat.

It is an OMC drive (Four Winns was owned by OMC then).

The OMC is a good but now obsolete drive. Service and parts aren't as readily available as Mercruiser. But most general service parts are still available aftermarket.

bobmwsc

Cadet
thumpar and rotaryracer - thanks for the info. that was the only photo in the listing but he did send a few of the interior. not very good photos though. it looks like it may have been left uncovered for a while - though up here in new england this time of year a boat could fill with leaves and pine needles in a matter of hours. the cover needs replacement, the carpet looks like it needs replacement. the seats, however, appear intact and I didn't notice any cracking in the photos.

I have the photos on my phone but the file size is too high so I'll resize them then upload what I have as soon as I get a chance.

Other boats I have looked into have been a 1989 SeaRay 160 bowrider 3.0 that needs some interior work and a 1984 galaxy comet cuddy cabin (19') that needs a replacement windshield and a new starter. I can really only afford a project boat right now and these seemed to fit the bill.

thumpar

Admiral
Be careful of having to replace the windshield. Sometimes they are not available unless you has someone do a custom job.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's worth it for $500 only if you have the money, time, energy, and space to restore it to perfect or near perfect condition. Read enough boat restoration threads and you will find some seriously dedicated people, this hobby is quite addicting and can get expensive real fast.

My personal opinion on buying projects on the cheap is that if you go into it knowing that you will spend money to make it right, then it's a good deal. As soon as you try and cut corners because you have blown your budget, you will either be really mad at yourself for buying it in the first place, or you will jeopardize the safety of you and your passengers.

If I was buying this boat, I couldn't see spending less than at least $1500 on top of purchase price just to get it on the water with a reasonable amount of safety. A more realistic investment might be as high as $3500 on top of purchase price if you have to source out engine parts that may not be easily available or if you will be redoing the floors and/or transom.

Just my $.02 from buying and rebuilding 4 old Sea-Doo's and working on my Sunbird Restoration. By the way, you should check out my restoration thread in my signature as it's probably very close in construction to the Four Winns you are looking at.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
a project boat is cheap to start with. See my sig line. I'm in for about $20k between my work and farmed out work. Probably about $10k if I did all myself. But, the best boat I've ever owned.

Last edited: