Is it worth fixing up?

MrGromit

Cadet
Okay, I have a TON of questions and I'm going to try to put them in the correct forums. I'll likely put links to them in this thread, but I moderate other boards and I know how crappy threads can become very quickly.

Back story. This is a '69 (I think, I could look it up) Tahiti, with trailer.
It was given to me by my former in-laws who have since passed. My first wife grew up playing on that since she was a little girl and I have quite a few pictures of her on it. She, too, has passed. Interestingly, my current wife's family had the same boat in Cali and she also learned to ski on and loved it, so it has a ton of sentimental value.

Add to that, when the maker of any type of vehicle changes their name, they still keep the same numbering sequence (they don't restart at zero). The manufacture's plate has this being made by something like Pacific Plastics and Fiberglass and this is boat number 7. A short time after the boat was made, they changed their name to Bayliner and became one of the biggest manufacturer of recreational boats in the world. So, this is the 7th boat that Bayliner ever made, which I think is really cool.

The boat

I do have the shroud for the Merc 650, it's just not on. I also have the factory manual and a ton of paperwork with it.

When they gave it to me 12 years ago or so, it had mostly been stored in a garage. I talked them into taking it out and it got some usage and was moored on a dock for a few summers.

When I got it, I took it out once. My FiL's mechanic was quite reputable and had just gone through the thing completely...except for the impeller. When I had it out, I had to idle for quite a while and the motor started having either smoke or water vapor coming out of it, so I shut it down ASAP.

Had kids, did Little League, lived life, so the thing has been sitting since. Now my oldest is 15, he REALLY wants to get it up and running. I see it as a cool project on which we can work together.

So, here's what we've got to work with. I'm not a boat guy, so I didn't know that you can't let the trailer nose sit down for a year or the boat will fill with water. Then I didn't realize that if the plug wasn't removed, it will fill with water. And I live in the Seattle area, so... yeah, lots of water.

Thankfully, there's very little electronics involved.

So, with the engine (and yes, I'll post in the Mercury forum with this), I can't drop the bottom end, and it looks like the mechanic tried and broke a chunk off the plane plate (sp?). Just replacing the engine really isn't a possibility because they bolted this engine to the transom and used four bolts.
That's the top half, ignore the leaves and spiders

Back side

Back side with tons of silicone

I think the transom is solid and no soft spots in the boat, but the seats need to be completely rebuilt.

Also, there are two small cracks along the keel that should be simple to patch with fiberglass, but that will be new to us as well.

Please comment and ask tons of questions. I can easily provide more pictures as well.

And I'll post links to the forums I'll be posting to other threads.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
If the boat has that much sentimental value it is worth restoring for that fact alone. It is a great project to do with the kids I am restoring a 73 sea ray with my 2 sons.

With that said,
If it sat outside uncovered it probably is going to be a complete gut and replace of all the wood

Only way to tell if it is solid is to drill core samples of the transom and stringers

The impeller needs to be replaced at a minimum before trying to start it up.

briangcc

Commander
I'd say go for it as its a neat looking boat.

Going off the sillycone on the motor, I'd say you're in for at least a transom. The good news is the resto forum has a ton of info in it and a number of helpful peeps just waiting to answer your questions, cheer you on when you have that "oh carp, I sliced through the hull" moment, etc...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Sounds like a cool project. You do have the correct paperwork to license/register it and the trailer in your state, right? I wouldn't do a think to it unless all the paperwork is in your name.

MrGromit

Cadet
Sounds like a cool project. You do have the correct paperwork to license/register it and the trailer in your state, right? I wouldn't do a think to it unless all the paperwork is in your name.
Good call. It was in their name when they gave it to me. I need to get hold of their family to transfer the boat and trailer, so that'll take some time. Thanks for the head's up!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
""Just replacing the engine really isn't a possibility because they bolted this engine to the transom and used four bolts.""

Almost every engine over 20 hp is bolted on with 4 or more bolts.
Thats the way its done.
Gonna need to remove the engine to work on - replace the transom.

Whats your budget? Somewhere between $2500 to $5000 is likely needed.

MrGromit

Cadet
""Just replacing the engine really isn't a possibility because they bolted this engine to the transom and used four bolts.""

Almost every engine over 20 hp is bolted on with 4 or more bolts.
Thats the way its done.
Gonna need to remove the engine to work on - replace the transom.

Whats your budget? Somewhere between $2500 to $5000 is likely needed.
I hate you.

Can't you guarantee to it be under $1000 or something?

But seriously, just saw that the seats were going to be nearly $300 each, the carpet about the same, and that's not including the motor work, the hull work (gloss coat, hopefully) and a ton other stuff...

<sigh>

MrGromit

Cadet
aaand a bunch of stuff I added just got deleted. I'll reply again tomorrow, as sleep beacons.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Definitely not a cheap project

Think of it this way,

new boat around the same style is around 20k, will be solid

Used boat around 5k, more than likely needs the same amount of work

Restore yours 2.5k-5k, if done right will be more solid than the new boat and will still be solid (if taken care of) when you pass the boat off to your children. Not to mention the satisfaction/security of knowing you built it and built it right.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'd say go for it as its a neat looking boat.

Going off the sillycone on the motor, I'd say you're in for at least a transom. The good news is the resto forum has a ton of info in it and a number of helpful peeps just waiting to answer your questions, cheer you on when you have that "oh carp, I sliced through the hull" moment, etc...
Nobody cheered me on when I did that! (And I was on the water at the time)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I hate you.

Can't you guarantee to it be under $1000 or something?
No

especially this year because the chemicals that make resin, foam, and paint are in tough demand because the Texas chemical plant is still down since they dont understand winter.

expect $3500 minimum (closer to $5500) just for the hull

upholstery will be about $600 each helm seat for cheap seats, $1100 each for good seats. and the bolsters will run you about $1200

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it were me and that story, I wouldn't hesitate to restore it.
Just remember its a LOT of work doing a full restore. but..
If you take the time and effort and do things correctly you will have a better boat than you can buy, and it should last longer than a production as now you almost have a hand built, 1 of a kind boat. and you and the kids did it.
And you can build it with the parts you want, bells and whistles.
Best thing you can do is forget about a budget and keep your mind on the end prize.
Product prices and availability change daily...
So todays budget is crap tomorrow.
If you hired it all done, "guessing" 10-$15K or more.
I's not hard to spend 5K in a hull, and then you have motor and trailer too.
Sounds like you need new/different motor out of the gate. {sorry}
And don't blow 2-$3K and get discouraged 1/4 way in.
it's a daunting project doing a full resto.
Have fun.

B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand
'
s tup!D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
""So, this is the 7th boat that Bayliner ever made,""

Might want to recheck your info.

There is plenty of documentation on these boats and none that I've seen look anything like this one.

Bayliner claims they've made boats for over 60 years on their website.

and this, good info here :

It was 1955. Edson was twenty-three years old. He dubbed the business Advanced Outboard Marine. He erected a small wooden office and began selling used boats. Business flourished and, with a line of credit, he picked up a couple new boat lines including a local plywood brand called “Bayliner."

He first contracted with local boat builder Glas-Ply Boats to build for him, but within a couple of years decided to do it himself. In 1966, he set up manufacturing the first Bayliner boats in a barn on a berry farm in Marysville, Washington. He opened dealerships across the US and into Canada, and by 1968 had one hundred such dealers.

Then there is this:

Orin Edson, a Korean War veteran, had returned to his home on the Puget Sound and was selling boats out of garage, eventually purchasing a small boat manufacturer and marketing the first Bayliners, which were initially made out of plywood. In 1965, Edson contracted with a local manufacturing company to make and market 18-foot Bayliners with fiberglass hulls.

Here is a 1968 Bayliner

003-jpg.73359

002-jpg.73355

MrGromit

Cadet
""So, this is the 7th boat that Bayliner ever made,""

Might want to recheck your info.

There is plenty of documentation on these boats and none that I've seen look anything like this one.

Bayliner claims they've made boats for over 60 years on their website.

and this, good info here :

It was 1955. Edson was twenty-three years old. He dubbed the business Advanced Outboard Marine. He erected a small wooden office and began selling used boats. Business flourished and, with a line of credit, he picked up a couple new boat lines including a local plywood brand called “Bayliner."

He first contracted with local boat builder Glas-Ply Boats to build for him, but within a couple of years decided to do it himself. In 1966, he set up manufacturing the first Bayliner boats in a barn on a berry farm in Marysville, Washington. He opened dealerships across the US and into Canada, and by 1968 had one hundred such dealers.

Then there is this:

Orin Edson, a Korean War veteran, had returned to his home on the Puget Sound and was selling boats out of garage, eventually purchasing a small boat manufacturer and marketing the first Bayliners, which were initially made out of plywood. In 1965, Edson contracted with a local manufacturing company to make and market 18-foot Bayliners with fiberglass hulls.

Interesting, and obviously you may be right.

Perhaps Edson bought the Tahiti line from someone else and made it a Bayliner line? Something else to look up in my spare time... <grin>

Thanks for the info and the great post!

It does kind of put a damper on my excitement about the boat, though. I still plan on doing the referb.

MrGromit

Cadet
Oh, BTW, Edson moved to Poulsbo, WA, from what I've been told, and retired there on the water. I drive by the house I was told was his often. There's a HUGE opened engine near the road that's set up like a sculpture. I'll take a picture of it next time I'm near there and post it.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
No matter if its 7th or 700th. Even 7,000 (how many boats do you think bayliner has built and those numbers rise daily) those are still low numbers or ground floor in the grand scheme of things if you start throwing names around like bayliner. if they were ever really tied together. or not.
If its tied in with bayliner and there was some merging that went on before the name got big and the family history of the boat would be enough for me.
There are a LOT of boats out there but, I think its safe to say there are more newer boats than old, and even less older boats in really good shape. Unless you're a member of this or another forum and re-did it.
I never heard of tahiti line of boats.
That would make for interesting Dock Conversation.
It also helps to keep a resto a hobby or labor of love rather than a job, chore or a hole in the water you are throwing money into.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Even it if was boat #1 pulled from the very first boat mold........... doesnt make it valuable. The boat still needs to be restored. the value is in the sentimental memories

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
Even it if was boat #1 pulled from the very first boat mold........... doesnt make it valuable. The boat still needs to be restored. the value is in the sentimental memories

I didn't mean to sound like tying to bayliner or mold #'s made it valuable. or priceless. sorry if that was the thought.
What I meant was the shop talk of restoring said above after it was completed could be pretty neat. and not something many would come across, or around here anyway.
I did place family and memories among the key reasons. And.
Doing a full resto is costly and labor intensive.. many hours and headaches.
Thats what this next statement translates to.
*It also helps to keep a resto a hobby or labor of love rather than a job, chore or a hole in the water you are throwing money into.*

On an additional note that I didn't include.
The reason I'm doing a resto.
I enjoy it, it keeps my idle time busy.
The self satisfaction of accomplishment and knowing how well things were done.
In other words. I don't have to worry about some sloppy, 1/2 way done job.
And I can hand pick all the hardware that I like right now, not something someone pulled of a shelf for me that I would change out later.