Is it worth buying, fixing, and the selling?

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice
I found a !955 Johnson 5 1/2 hp outboard. It needs a new coil. I looked up the coil on this web site and it was $28.00. The guy wants $175 or best offer. Is it worth messing with?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it worth buying, fixing, and the selling?

They sell for around that price in good running condition, If it has the original coils both will need replacing. points/condenser? water pump?? carb kit ??? hoses etc///// big question what is your labor worth to you??????????????????????

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yea no kidding, and on top of that you have old nuts and bolts keeping everything tight. Beak a head stud and now things get fun.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

People buy and restore those motors for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the project. Many people just like to collect them. But to buy one and fix it up for sale at a profit....well good luck. Visit the Antique Outboard Club's website The Antique Outboard Motor Club Website - AOMCI.org

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I don't see how anybody could actually make money buying old engines and/or boats or even trailers and refurbish them and be able to sell them for any profit. If you simply love to do that, then it is your hobby. But certainly not a money making proposition for any profit...JMHO! :)

82rude

Rear Admiral

I don't see how anybody could actually make money buying old engines and/or boats or even trailers and refurbish them and be able to sell them for any profit. If you simply love to do that, then it is your hobby. But certainly not a money making proposition for any profit...JMHO! :)
how correct .I bought and redid a early 60,s cedarstrip boat (runabout).for several years I used a 90 evinrude on it now due to distances I travel to camp and the cost of fuel I sprung for a 2011 etec last year(60hp).theres no way in heck im ever going to get the 10,000 or so that that boat is worth if I was ever stupid enough to try and sell it!those old johnnys are from an era that as far as im concerned was the highwater mark for design and beauty.buy it ,fix it,enjoy it!

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd offer him $75 for it and then tell him what I'd have to do to it to make it reliable. If he doesn't follow that logic, then I'd let him keep it.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

depends on the condition too. if it is in mint condition, and included the gas tank, it would be a fair price. all depends on the visual condition.,

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They sell for around that price in good running condition, If it has the original coils both will need replacing. points/condenser? water pump?? carb kit ??? hoses etc///// big question what is your labor worth to you??????????????????????

+1^

You almost have to get one free, or dang close, to make any money on it. Once you get into them, all of the above applies.

It think there is more money in engines that size than the big ones. IMHO and experience.

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice

+1^

You almost have to get one free, or dang close, to make any money on it. Once you get into them, all of the above applies.

It think there is more money in engines that size than the big ones. IMHO and experience.

I got a free boat once. It was a 16ft Larson 1971. It had a 100hp johnson. Tracked down tho original owner because the boat was from a foreclosed home. The guy willingly gave me the titles. Put a fuel pump on it and repaired some wiring. Made $600 on the deal. BUT i see what you all are saying. the older stuff was great in its day, but they won't make me any money. (unless i'm repairing it for someone).

If it ain't broke then fix it till it is.