Is it true that 6000 RPMs is recommended?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Is it true that 6000 RPMs is recommended?

Dealer said boat should be reaching close to 6000 rpms and was necessary for engine life.

Is this true? I am mainly asking about the "engine life" part.

The 115 2-stroke has an operating range from 4500 to 5500 rpm - not 6000rpm

Yamaha in their service literature recommends that the engine be propped to reach the upper half of the operating range (5000 to 5500) for best engine life and performance.

Whoever told you 6000 rpm is mistaken, uninformed, or just running off at the mouth.

I Am Mello

Cadet

Thanks Seahorse, I actually read this information about 6000 rpms here on the forum from a guy who seemed to be one of those " run off at the mouth" kinda guys and that is the reason I posted the question. I learned something from Ronald Regan that has been a valuable thing to me... He often said..."Trust but VERIFY" So I do that often.

You are 100% correct about my particular engine and thanks for replying!
After doing some research I found something interesting. The model of my motor ends with a "C" there is another model motor that ends with a "Z" (115TLRZ) That engine does recommend 6060 . Go figure! It weighs a heck of a lot more and it burns more fuel too. I dont know what the difference between the two is but it did say 6060rpms max. I will include the link from Blue Wave/Yamaha. We learn something new every day...dont we? I know I did.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...tb_2StrokePerf_HPMidPort_115hp_0195-BWB-Z.pdf

Thanks again for your reply, I am at ease about the performace issue I had in question.
I Am Mello

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Am a bit late for the discussion. Could someone tell me just what the RPM RANGE means in outboard SPECS. If the range is 4500 to 5500, can I expect the motor to put out its rated HP anywhere in that RPM band?
Also, I see something wrong or I am missing something in the charts concerning the BLUE WAVE on the link provided in the first post. Notice the speed and fuel consumption at 5500 compaired to the speed and fuel used at 6500 RPM. The faster they went the less fuel was used per hour.
Also, I do not see anything wrong with pitching a prop where the motor will spin a bit over the max operating range. Would rather be under pitched a bit than over pitched. Less manifold pressure, concerns of detonation. Anyone concerned with engine life and reliability would naturally go by their tach. and not exceed the recommended max RPM. Unless they did not pay for the motor. regards FRED

I Am Mello

Cadet

Fred ... I saw that difference in fuel usage too. Kinda hard to believe. But I did notice all the other rpm ranges were in line with what we would expect. I am like you.... did we miss something here?

connemaraisland

Seaman Apprentice

If this engine is a four stroke Yamaha it is very true. The #1 reason that most 4 strokes have reputation for "not coming out of the hole" as well as a two stroke is because shops prop the engines the same as they did for carb'd two strokes. Almost ALL two strokes develop their max power at 5400-5500 rpm's while the 4 stroke Yamaha's do so at 6100 rpm. The new 70hp rev's to 6300rpm. Do not worry at all about life of a 115 Yamaha - I have a F100 that is 10 years old and I live on an island and I estimate I have 50,000 Kms on the motor and it starts, performs and sounds exactly the same as the day I brought it home. If you do not let it rev you will cause it harm as it will load the engine too much and after an extended time may detonate which will destroy it. - Bob

connemaraisland

Seaman Apprentice

If you had described your motor CORRECTLY - meaning using an F in front (for a 4 stroke) or a C (for a 2 stroke) the guy would have known and would have given you the right answer - "run off at the mouth" after you ask his advice with incomplete info - pretty inconsiderate.

I Am Mello

Cadet

Conn Thanks for the reply about the motor. You stated "to let it rev or it will cause the motor harm" Are you saying 5400 rpms are better for the motor compaired to the recommended 3500rpms for best fuel economy?

Did you click the link I provided about the engine? All the CORRECT information was therein. I did not make a post asking a question about the engine. I read it on a different post provided by another member where the 2 stroke WAS specified .

I am not inconsiderate. You have made an incorrect assumption.:D

robert graham

Admiral

I'm confident the 2 stroke motors are happy with a max RPM of 5500, in fact it's only on a rare occasion that my 90C gets up to 5200, since my boat is just a jon boat. Maybe the 4 strokes need 6000+RPM's to really work well? Different technologies....

yikess

Cadet

I have read this several times here on the forum about a 115 Yamaha:

Dealer said boat should be reaching close to 6000 rpms and was necessary for engine life.

Is this true? I am mainly asking about the "engine life" part.

I have an 18.5 ft Blue Wave and I found the following:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...stroke_hpmidport_gyt3_bwb-180vbay-115tlrc.pdf

Whos report do I trust?

Thanks,
I Am Mello

Both are correct, The 115 four stroke is 6,000. Your link is the 2-stroke.