Is it trashed?

Calebbrown77

Seaman
I have been working on a 86 bayliner about 2 weeks now an some rain snuck up on me an I didn't get it covered up motor was showing an all an now when I go to stet it the starter trys an won't turn the engine over is it locked up? Or is it fixable please give me your thoughts!?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is it trashed?

First thing you do is pull the spark plugs out and see if the engine will turn over, may have water into the engine through the carb and into a cylinder and hydrolock.
Next, what kind of motor are you working on. Look here.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Agh sorry I should have done this in the first place it's a
Volvo penta 225e 305 v8 most serial number an such are worn if needed I can probably clean them off but only if specifically needed

Don S

225E is sufficient. Still pull the plugs and make sure there is no water in the cylinders.

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Will do tomorrow morning thanks for the help! Do I pull all 8 plug an just turn it over? An if there is water in there is it ruined?

Don S

Unless you know which cylinder the water is in, you have to pull all 8.
Hard to say if its ruined or not without some checking, if you noticed, the crystal ball in my avatar is cracked.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If there is water in it, the longer you wait, the more chance there will be of serious damage.

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Ok so pull all plugs an it should turn over? An if so just replace plugs