Is it Time to Go?

NYMINUTE

Captain
With all his health issues, and his age a factor should the Pope gracefully step down? His legacy is already steller in all areas?

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Is it Time to Go?

;) I always thought that "POPES" stayed till they died<br /><br />When the black smoke comes out of the chimney the "Pope" has past on and time to select a nother to take his place!!!! ;) :cool:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

not Catholic so my opinion means nothing to those who are.. voted for him to step down.<br /><br />now that I think aboput it further I shouldn't have even voted ... pardon me.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I think that he should step down, but i'm not sure that he's allowed to do so, maybe someone who knows how that system works will come along and enlighten me some.

salty87

Commander

he can step down but it's not like 'retiring'. he has essentially been chosen by the catholics' version of god. so, whatever is god's will is his calling.<br /><br />has one stepped down before?...i voted to keep at it, that's how their system works. (i'm not cathoic either)

KennyKenCan

Commander

Not trying dis the man or anything, but it is my opinion that the Pope is beyond the capability of running the Catholic Church, so therefore should step aside.<br /><br />He has accomplished so many admorable things, he has done his coarse, time to enjoy retirement.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Got to love the internet. You learn so much.<br /><br />Popes can retire--the official word is abdicate--but the last wholly voluntary abdication took place in 1294. That was by Celestine V, a hermit who hated being pope and resigned after less than four months in office. There have been a handful of other, more controversial abdications (Was the removal forced? Was the pope legitimate?), and the last one of these was in 1415. <br />Just because no pope has abdicated for hundreds of years doesn't mean that a resignation by John Paul isn't much discussed. One of the men he elevated to cardinal, Karl Lehmann of Germany, suggested in a radio interview that because of his health, John Paul might consider stepping down. But John Paul has given no indication that he wants to be around for the party to celebrate the selection of the 263rd pope. As for what happens if a pope becomes permanently incapacitated, there is currently no mechanism for removing him from office. After a pope does die and before a successor is chosen, a cardinal is designated to oversee the day-to-day administration of the Vatican, but he is not considered to have papal authority.

SoulWinner

Commander

Well lets see, step down or stay pope 'til he passes away......I don't think there is a big difference (time wise). I pray that God takes takes him peacefully.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A formal prohibition against discussing who is going to be the next pope until the reigning pope is actually dead dates back a long way in history - 15 centuries to be exact. <br /><br />Pope Felix IV was a 6th Century pope who fell foul of the local clergy and the Roman Senate by trying to nominate his own successor. The Senate objected and passed an edict forbidding any discussion of his successor during a pope's lifetime. <br /><br />Walking through the splendidly frescoed corridors of power inside the Vatican during these crisis days when the absent Pope lies stricken and mute in hospital, at first sight everything seems terribly normal. <br /><br />Cardinals wearing their distinctive red sashes, or more simply dressed in simple clergymen's black suits, glide from office to office clutching their black briefcases. <br /><br />Nowadays they rarely wear the black cassocks with red piping which used to enable you immediately to identify their lofty rank. <br /><br />Little time to plot <br /><br />Behind the scenes at the Vatican however, behind those thickly padded doors which still protect the privacy of the top cardinals who run the Church, the gossip level about who is going to succeed John Paul has reached a new intensity. <br /><br />One well-known cardinal was heard to declare that one of his fellow Princes of the Church was an "idiot" for sounding off about the subject. <br /><br />There is only a small window of opportunity for the so-called "papabili" - the shortlist of real candidates for the job - to meet together and plot voting strategies at the Conclave, the electoral body of cardinals summoned from around the world on the death of the pontiff to elect his successor. <br /><br />The Conclave takes place not less than 15 and not more than 20 days after a pope's death. <br /><br />After the funeral they have little more than a week for informal secret discussions about the personality profile and job qualifications they are going to demand for their new leader. <br /><br />Even discussion about what would happen if the Pope were to go into a coma, or become mentally impaired, with disastrous possible consequences for the smooth functioning of the Vatican's well-oiled bureaucratic machine, is officially frowned upon. <br /><br />Eyebrows were therefore raised last month when the cardinal secretary of state, technically the Pope's number two, speculated in public about what would happen if the Pope felt he could no longer carry on as leader of the world's 1.1 billion Roman Catholics. <br /><br />Could he not resign, the cardinal was asked. That would be a matter for the Pope's own conscience, the cardinal replied, implying that resignation was still on the cards, despite the Pope's frequent insistence that he intends to carry on "while there is breath in my body". <br /><br />Looming limbo <br /><br />But no-one really seems to have budgeted for a prolonged absence of the Pope in hospital. <br /><br />The moment the Pope dies, every important official at the Vatican immediately loses his job, until he is confirmed in office by the next pontiff. <br /><br /> <br />Cardinal Angelo Sodano will always be in the Pope's shadow <br />The headquarters of the Church goes into a sort of limbo, to use the terminology the Church adopts to describe that halfway house between heaven and hell for souls destined neither for eternal punishment nor eternal bliss. <br /><br />The technical name is a "Vacancy of the Holy See". This is important because it highlights the absolute, monarchical power of the office of pope in the organisational structure of the Catholic Church. <br /><br />Once he is elected, every important appointment, every big policy decision has to be personally taken by him. <br /><br />Of course the Pope is assisted by his heads of department, and the Vatican bureaucracy is so finely honed, that it chugs along very well by itself, even if the Pope, like the current one, chooses not to interfere too much in the ordinary day-to-day running of Church administration. <br /><br />But the man usually described as Pope's number two, Cardinal Angelo Sodano, an Italian, can never pretend to exercise the same powers as those enjoyed by the Pope himself. <br /><br />So if John Paul were to lapse into a coma, or were to become impaired to the extent that he is unable effectively to exercise his powers, the implications for Church governance are grave. <br /><br />Modern medical progress can create administrative, as well as ethical problems.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> ......I don't think there is a big difference (time wise). I pray that God takes takes him peacefully.
had those same thoughts too SW

gaugeguy

Captain

Even in his ailing condition his message is a strong one. He is suffering, but still performing his Papal duties. Jesus could have avoided the cross but didn't, the Pope's suffering is his cross to bear. He will not step down, it is not in his character to quit.<br /><br />One of my favorite stories about the Pope was when he was a young Priest in Warsaw during WWII. He was giving mass while the Germans were bombing the city. He did not miss a beat, even though there were explosions all around his church. He didn't quit in the face of adversity then, nor will he now.

LadyFish

Admiral

As some of you may know being the Pope is the most respected, revered title and responsibility in the Catholic Church, its almost considered God like, if you can imagine. I know he is not capable of handling the job at this age or health. But to rob him of this title or ask him to step down is a slap in the face of all his years of dedication and honor. <br /><br />I say let him rest in peace. The administration is and has been handling all the necessary issues and can continue to do so until his demise. <br /><br />The Pope dedicated his life to the church and those of us that follow, I think he deserves to die proud and with honor.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I have wondered this question myself and the best I can come up with is this. The only one who should ponder this is the pope, unless the church found itself in a true state of lacking leadership. Currently they seem to be chugging along fine, so I guess let it ride.