Is it time for a water pump?

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been working on my E90TLEND and I noticed something strange the other day. When it first cranks the tell tale has full flow. I do not have the little fitting that goes on the end so I just have the hose. Once it gets warmed up for about 30 seconds the stream starts to have breaks in it and appears not to get very good flow. Is the water pump freezing up? Does this mean it is time for a new water pump kit? Also after it has run for a few minutes the engine seems almost untouchable because it is very hot. How long should I be able to touch the motor without my hand getting too hot?Thanks.

William

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is it time for a water pump?

count of three. or four. could be water pump, or thermostats. you want the motor between 140* and 160*, get an infrared thermometer.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

If you do not know when the last time the impeller was changed, I would replace it. It should be done every 2-3 years anyways. You can also pull the thermostat and test it in a pan of water with a thermometer. It should open up at about 125 degrees. If it doesn't replace it.

MAS

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Change water pump and test / change thermostats. Part of general maintenance anyway.