Is it possible to.....

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
put an impeller key in backwards, and how long would it take after running the engine, before I noticed a problem?

I did a water pump on my 200hp Johnson this weekend and I am pretty sure I put the key in the right way, but the impeller slid over it so easily, that I have convinced myself that I did something wrong, but am not sure if you can even put the key in any way except the correct way.

I put the lower unit back up and started the engine on muffs and it has great water pressure and I revved the engine a few times, and ran it at a high idle (2500), and it never lost any water pressure, so I was just wondering if I would notice it right away if the key was installed backwards, or if I may not notice it until it's in the water?

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is it possible to.....

you are fine. those little plastic keys only go one way.

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is it possible to.....

Great!! Thanks man. I have been replaying it in my head like 30 times, but I figured that the way the impeller is grooved to fit the key, and with how tight to the driveshaft the center of the impeller is, that it would never have gone on if the key was backwards, that there is only one way that key would have slid into the impeller.

So I guess I was thinking right and making myself crazy for nothing.

Thanks again.