Is it possible to replace 88 OMC outdrive?

kevperro

Cadet
I'm looking at a 1988 2655 Bayliner that has an OMC Cobra outdrive. I've been told that these models had a lot of problems and I want to be prepared for the cost if I need to replace or repair it. <br /><br />Is it possible to retro-fit a Volvo 270 or some other reliable outdrive in place of the OMC? If so what kind of cost?<br /><br />Thanks!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it possible to replace 88 OMC outdrive?

First you need to find out if you can find a shop that knows them and will work on them, if it is adjusted properly, they are not worse than any other. Not all shops will work on them, however. Now if the outdrive needs to be replaced, it is possible to replace the drive with a newer Volvo Penta SX which was based on the Cobra, and built when they (OMC and Volvo) had a joint venture, and then OMC sold off their sterndrive business to Volvo. It is not cheap to do this, but since the Cobra and the SX use the same transom shield and transom plate, it is possible. You would need to find a shop willing to invesigate the fesability of doing this, Volvo used to sell a kit to do it. You need to add an engine mounted impeller (Volvo style) and Volvo remote controls. Personally, I'd have it surveyed, see what the serveyer says, and it the Cobra is in good shape, I'd consider it if you can get local good service on it. Parts from my experience are still available.

kevperro

Cadet
Re: Is it possible to replace 88 OMC outdrive?

Thanks Lou.... Survey will be done. It looks like it would be possible but cost prohibitive. I think I'll limit the boats that I look at to Volvo stern drive units.