Is it legal to advertise on a mailbox?

ZmOz

Captain
I live in a newer neighborhood with 1 mailbox for every 12 houses. The mailbox just happens to be in front of my house. There are always a bunch of idiots putting up various fliers advertising their sale/services. They usually use plain paper, which looks like hell after a night outside, and duct tape, which is equally lovely. Then of course when their sale is over, they never take them down.<br /><br />I'M TIRED OF IT!<br /><br />First of all, is it even legal for these morons to put all this crap on the mailbox? Secondly, would it be legal for me to put a sign on the mailbox that says "NO ADVERTISING!"?

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is it legal to advertise on a mailbox?

My understanding is that it illegal. The mailbox is federal property and only usable for US mail. My paper guy said he can't even put our paper in ours at our request. I am not sure about the "No Advertising".

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Just curious. If there's one mailbox for 12 houses, does someone sort it, or does each person just retrieve their own from the daily delivery?

JRJ

Commander

The unit is Govt. property and it is unlawful to use as a sign post. Have you complained to the post office? Once the material falls off the unit, it is litter, and litter laws should be enforced. Your "No Advertsing" sign would of course fall under the same rules. My guess is you will have to explain to the offenders your unhappyness. We don't have this problem yet with our neighborhood boxes. Good luck and stay :cool:

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> Just curious. If there's one mailbox for 12 houses, does someone sort it, or does each person just retrieve their own from the daily delivery?
One large box made up of 12 individually locked cubby holes. ;) <br /><br />
Originally posted by JRJ:<br />Have you complained to the post office?
No, but I doubt it would do any good. Even if they started punishing people (unlikely) there would allways be another idiot to put up another sign. :rolleyes: Maybe I can get them to put up a no advertising sign or let me do it though...

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Got this straight from a postal employee. It is absolutely illegal. If you bring it to the attention of the local postmaster, the offenders will at the very least be made to pay postage on all the flyers they have put out. Go get 'em!

JRJ

Commander

I'll be on the lookout for the attack of the mail box paper hangers. Let us know how it goes.

ZmOz

Captain

Well, like I said, even if they started punishing people it wouldn't have much effect. It's allways somebody new, not the same person advertising over and over. Now that I think about it, I think the mailbox at my old house (same kind) said "no advertising" on it. I think I might just put up a sign, illegal or not, it's not like the post office enforces that around here. :rolleyes:

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

FROM THE USPS WEB SITE. <br /><br />QUESTION.<br /><br />Can a flyer/envelope be put it in someone else's mailbox without being mailed? What if a stamp was placed on it? <br /><br />ANSWER.<br /> <br /> Postage must go through the Postal Service™ and be delivered for it to be valid postage and therefore acceptable in the mail receptacle. A flyer cannot be placed in a mailbox after putting a stamp on it unless the item was actually mailed.<br /><br />"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."<br /><br />The key to this statement is in the term "postage" which is defined as: payment for a delivery service that is affixed or imprinted to a mailpiece, usually in the form of a postage stamp, permit imprint, or meter impression.<br /><br />For further questions (or to report occurences) regarding flyers being placed into your mailbox without first going through the postal system, please refer to your local Post Office™.<br /><br />*************************************************My editorial comment.<br />You could copy and print this on a flyer, place it in every mail box and be just as illegal as your neighbors are. :)

demsvmejm

What most of these posts here are addressing is exactly what Slowly descibed in his quote from the USPS website, and that is stuff INSIDE the mailbox. On the outside I'm sure there are restrictions. Since you live in a newer neighborhood with this type of box, is there a neighborhood association? If so bring it up to the assoc. DO NOT present your case as "I don't like it" or "I think it looks ugly" or "It messes up my lawn", They probably won't care much about you individually. If you present it as a slight/blight upon them then they will likely take much swifter action. Same goes for the screwjob, I mean Post Office. <br />I like your intent to post th No Advertising sign too. But will it be expensive to you (fines) to be reactive instead of proactive? Meaning putting it up before getting permission.<br /><br />Maybe you could invest in an industrial sized jar of Vaseline and grease the outside of the box. Then see them try to get their duct tape to stick! Maybe make up your own flyers and plaster the offender's front door with them?<br /><br />Sounds like you've got alot of good reasons for your beef and someone should be able to help. MAybe check with your local gov't and check on sign laws. good luck

JRJ

Commander

Slowley, they aren't "mailing" to ZmOz, they are attaching junk ads, flyers, etc., like people do on utility poles and Stop signs. Its an unwanted mess wherever it is :mad: :mad:

eeboater

Commander

Simple answer to that question...<br /><br />Use one of these:<br /><br />
sharpie.s.jpg
<br /><br /><br />And Scribble all over them when you go pick up your mail :D <br /><br />Sean

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> Since you live in a newer neighborhood with this type of box, is there a neighborhood association?
Yes, there is, and I might bring it up to them, but often the people posting the flyers don't live in the neighborhood, so the only thing the association could do is talk to the post office or put up signs.<br /><br />
Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> <br />I like your intent to post th No Advertising sign too. But will it be expensive to you (fines) to be reactive instead of proactive? Meaning putting it up before getting permission.<br />
Well, unlike the flyers, it wouldn't have my address/phone number on it, so it would be pretty difficult for them to prove I put it there. :D Even if they did "catch" me it sounds like the worst they could do is charge me $0.37.<br /><br />
Originally posted by eeboater:<br />Use one of these:<br />And Scribble all over them when you go pick up your mail :D <br />
I just rip them down as soon as I see them. ;)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

No the worst thing they could do to you is stick ya in Levinworth kansas with some dude named bubba that thinks you is the purdiest celmate he has ever had. After all it is a federal offense.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by neumanns:<br /> No the worst thing they could do to you is stick ya in Levinworth kansas with some dude named bubba that thinks you is the purdiest celmate he has ever had. After all it is a federal offense.
Somehow I don't think they could send you to prison for putting 1 sign on 1 mailbox. ;) <br /><br />What did you do? "I stabbed my cell mate in the neck while he slept. What did you do?" I put a sign on my mailbox.<br /> :eek: :p

SlowlySinking

Sorry guys, read the USPS quote again, <br /><br />"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.<br /><br />I see the words, placed upon, supported by, hung from. That sounds like OUTSIDE the box to me. <br />And I never for a moment thought they were mailing the flyers to ZmOz. Read my editorial comment again.

Realgun

Commander

Burn'em. :) Just get a lighter and burn em off.