Is it enough HP for use as a kicker motor/emergency backup

ratcitycat

Recruit
I have an opportunity to get a 3.5 hp mercury outboard and was wondering if it has enough power for use as a trolling/emergency backup motor? The boat it would go on is a 15 ft Smokercraft Lodge with a 30hp mercury 4 stroke.Weight of boat/motor is about 700 lbs. I know a 5-6 hp motor would be better but the price and weight savings are so much better looking to me. Thanks, Mike

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it enough HP for use as a kicker motor/emergency backup

For emergency use yes, sort of, if there is wind, current and waves, plus some distance involved it may be slow going, in calm water it would be fine. For trolling its a bad choice, they are loud and vibrate so bad it will become very annoying rapidly.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I have an opportunity to get a 3.5 hp mercury outboard and was wondering if it has enough power for use as a trolling/emergency backup motor? The boat it would go on is a 15 ft Smokercraft Lodge with a 30hp mercury 4 stroke.Weight of boat/motor is about 700 lbs. I know a 5-6 hp motor would be better but the price and weight savings are so much better looking to me. Thanks, Mike

I think it would be about minimum for that boat. Not sure about the vibration and noise issue; I've never run a merc 3.5.

I have an evinrude 4hp kicker on my 17ft. It works great for trolling but in an emergency situation it would be a slow ride home.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=383626

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

For emergency use yes, sort of, if there is wind, current and waves, plus some distance involved it may be slow going, in calm water it would be fine. For trolling its a bad choice, they are loud and vibrate so bad it will become very annoying rapidly.

I should add that any small single cylinder motor has the noise and vibration issue, so for trolling you're much better off with a twin, the 4 HP Evinrude is a very good for trolling.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I question the need for an emergency motor on a 15' boat. They are easy enough to tow if you break down.
You can troll with a 30.
Buy a trolling motor that's made for trolling: electric. And a paddle.
If it pushes you trolling it will push you home.

And as for emergency motors, it doesn't matter how slow it is if it pushes the boat. If you have an "emergency" you will be late for supper. If you have them often, replace your primary motor.

producetroutcat

Recruit

Thanks for the replies and advice.The 30 does troll very well and I do have a 55# minnkota saltwater motor,but when I am fishing up in Canada ,in the salt for salmon,the wind/current is a little too much at times for the Minn Kota.That is why I am looking into a kicker without adding a lot of weight to the backend.Not alot of boats around where I fish but a lot of rock.
Thanks, Mike.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well if it's a safety factor, the larger back-up makes sense; you can use the electric for regular use and the big one for the remote situations.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In the real world of trolling electrics don't cut it, limited thrust, limited speed, limited run time and as much weight as a small gas motor if not more. They are very nice for some things and I love how quiet they are, but in this type of application they aren't great.

I never have figured out why electrics are called trolling motors, the most common use is on bass boats and for the most part you aren't trolling, its just being used to position the boat and move while casting. The only good reason I can come up with is that in the beginning that?s about all you could do with one because the power was/is so limited, and then only for a short time.

Yes I know they get used for walleye and other very slow trolling situations, but that was long after the name was attached to them.